Full hysterectomy at 35 years old. Any support or advice would be helpful

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

Im 35 years old and had a full hysterectomy in July following being diagnosed with womb cancer. I have had everything removed including my cervix. I have gone straight into the menopause as a result. Im experiencing hot and cold night sweats which have reduced since taking primrose capsules. My hormones and emotions are all over the place. Today is not a good day. People say you will have bad days but they are becoming more frequent. I have an appointment next week to discuss HRT. Can anyone give me any advice on this - pros and cons? I know everyone is different. Also any advice on how people feel after a hysterectomy? When do you start to feel good again.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that you had to have a hysterectomy due to womb cancer, but hope now that you will recover fully. 

I was on HRT for about five years, I had patches. I wasn't as young as you but at 43 I was definitely peri menopausal and struggled with hot flushes, anxiety and was knackered due to interrupted sleep! 

I thought long and hard about HRT, both my parents died in their sixties, from a stroke and brain haemorrhage. However they were both long term smokers. 

I weighed up the pros and cons, I've never smoked, am not over weight, exercise regularly and felt fit for my age. I had to consider quality of life and opted for HRT, it definitely helps with hot flushes, mood swings and atrophy. I was told that they wouldn't have wanted me on it much beyond 50, I'm now 58 and way past the menopause so felt it was great for me for those tricky years. 

Make a list of questions and be prepared to try a few different types until you find one that suits you. I saw a fabulous male doctor, having seen a few females prior to him. He spent ages with me, researching different ones, he considered which contraceptive pill I'd been on that had suited me, and eventually I found one that was good. 

I had a hysterectomy in May, as well as some repair work. I feel very lucky in that I never felt awful and was mobile from the beginning. I am still having slight bleeding and today saw my GP, she has referred me to my surgeon due to granulation. 

So, the recovery can be a long process, I didn't really anticipate that it was such major surgery. Mine was all done vaginally so I have no external signs or scars. 

I hope you get other stories too, best of luck. 😃

• Posted

Hi Stacy

i had a full abdominal hysterectomy at the end of July and within days started to have flushes, I had already spoken to my surgeon and decided start HRT and was prescribed upon my release from hospital and it was up to me when I started to take them. I started taking them within a week. I have had no ill affects or side effects and don’t think I would have done it differently. I am 43 and my body still needs those hormones. 

I hope that helps and wish you well 

xx

• Posted

Hi, thank you for your reply.

Because i had radiotherary, they were reluctant ti put me on HRT straight away. This will be discussed next week. Because it all happened so fast, diagnosis and then in surgery 2 weeks later, i wasnt prepared for the effects of the menopause. Ill see what they suggest next week. Thanks again. Much appreciated x

• Posted

Hi Stacy

I had my full hysterectomy done in June and was put on HRT patches 6 weeks later as I was getting joint pains especially with my neck . Am 43 yrs old by the way. HRT helped me with hot flushes and mood swing. I feel slightly better with my joints pain but my neck is not.  Downside of HRT is that I am putting on weight day by day ! Am always hungry and eat double the portion. I have always been slim in my life, and now am one size up with clothes and bra. Also my memory is gone really bad. Am very very forgetful and that’s the most scary part for me.

By the way I feel itchy randomly since I use patches, not sure why. And one last thing is that am off of sex.  Apart from that am back on my feet and period free !!

Hope that helps. Best of luck to your recovery.

Dee

• Posted

Hi Dee, thanks so much for your reply. Funny you should say about the neck pains. I have these too. I've also been slim all of my life and put weight since i had my appetite back. Some days i cant stop eating.

I have no sex drive neither. Thankfully my partner is very supportive and understanding. I have dialaters to use as the radiotherary makes you narrow. I know i need to start excercising, not just because of the weight but as an aid to release stress. The emotions and moon swings are uncontrolable at times, so i definately hope i can get some help with that! I have so much to be thankful for, so cant understand why i feel so sad. Its a horrible feeling.

Thanks again, appreciate the advice x

• Posted

I do hope you are cancer "Free". I love using vagfem tablets inserted via vagina. Less messy that the creams. Skin sensitivity to patches.All ready take too many pills that are px. Vagfem is a prescription. Benefits  my "dry "" vaginal

issues 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.