Full Hysterectomy Including Ovary Removal. HRT Help?!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there every one! My Mum has recently had a full hysterectomy including her ovaries removed. She has now been recommend to start HRT treatment asap. She still hasn't started the treatment as we having been reading through the side effects and she's very nervous. Especially the high rise risk of breast cancer, my Mum is 51 and is 1 week post op. Has anyone else been through the same & has any advice please reply with your experiences or advice, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Has your mum gone through menopause before her op?

I had my tvh in January and im.age 50 but i had already gone through menopause early naturally.

I do still have my ovaries though unlike your mum.

I understand how she feels about the side effects,i wont touch them but my menopause symptoms are jyst mild flushes and easily managed with natural bio identical progesterone cream.

Sone ladies have bad symptoms and really need hrt to help them enjoy a quality of life.

I have researched so much that using natural healing is best for me.

I do.take vagif em to prevent vaginal dryness and to feed tge Pelvic floor the oestrogen that it doesnt get as much of anymore. Pkease research as much as possible as there are lots of help for us ladies.x

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I don't think she was menopausal she didn't really have hot sweats, still had regular (heavy) periods although her surgeon said her ovaries looked very tired? So having her ovaries removed means she's immediately in the menopause but she's saying she feels fine but obviously it's only early days. x

• Posted

Hi, I had a total hysterectomy, and ovaries removed, just over a year ago, aged 50. Like your mum I was advised to start HRT immediately after my operation but decided against it after reading lots of information. I thought I'd just see how I got on without taking anything. I hadn't been through the menopause beforehand so was plunged straight in to it at the deep end! I tried Red Clover, which my surgeon suggested, as an alternative to help with hot flushes but it didn't work - I couldn't sleep properly at night due to them and they were continuous throughout the day. I revisited my surgeon and also my GP for more advice. Eventually I started having internal pain which was difficult to pinpoint exactly where it was - it wasn't on my front or on my back but seemed deep inside me. My GP said I really needed to start HRT so decided to see how it helped (that was about a year after my operation). I use Estradot patches. Thankfully the pain has now gone (although I do occasionally get it but not as bad and for as long) and my hot flushes have stopped which is a big bonus! I have had no other side effects other than putting on a couple of pounds. Thankfully I feel exactly the same as I did before my operation with no mood changes. It took me around 2 months before I returned to work. I hope this helps in some way. It's a difficult decision to make and I felt exactly the same as your mum. I wish your mum a speedy recovery and I'm sure she appreciates you looking after her.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply, it was very helpful! The patches are also what my Mum has been prescribed as she was told there the safest option. I think she's probably going to see how her symptoms go (it's still early days), speak to her surgeon to find out the pros of taking the HRT because all we all seem to read is the cons then make a decision. Once again thank you for your reply & I'm happy to hear your doing well after your operation & hopefully my Mum will feel the same soon!

• Posted

Hi hun

The patch or cream is much better for the liver than tge pill form.

Id recommend she research all she can before making a decision. That power for her and very helpful to know what happens to.our bodies without ovaries.

My mum had a hyster at age 39 and took hrt straight away. She is know age 81 and fit as a flee☺

Healing hugs to

• Posted

Thank you for your reply & thats really good to hear. Did your Mum have her ovaries removed?

• Posted

Yes she did hun age 39.. She was put straight on hrt for 20 years😱 but was absolutely fine. She had patch. Me though don't need hrt as my symptoms were not bad.. I think im done now as it 5 yrs since i went through menopause.

Knowledge is power and i hope she continues to heal well and most importantly rest for tge next few weeks. XX

• Posted

Thank you very much for your replies, they have helped a lot. She is taking it easy & I will make sure she does for the next few weeks, i wont let her lift a finger lol! xx

• Posted

Hi Elisha

I hope your mum is doing well I had full hysterectomy in January past age 54 I was advised against HRT by my surgeon as she said I was probably already menopausal my advice for your mum would be to wait and see how she feels before taking HRT I was ok and she will feel emotional but thats normal after such a big op good luck and tell mum to take it easy xx

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. It's so hard having a big operation then being thrown straight into the menopause, hopefully she'll be ok. Glad to hear your doing well after yours & I'm looking after her the best I can, lol!

• Posted

Hi,

At age 45 to age 52 on average this is the time our bodies ovaries start to die off sand stop producing eggs.

As your mum.us age 51 hopefully she eould if been approaching menopause and not be too much of a shock to.the body.

I think.if she was younger she would feel the changes more prominent in her system.

Usually after hysterectomy it can take between 6 mths to 5 years for ovaries to completely die off,i had done my menopause at age 45 so my ovaries now will start to completely shrivel up like prunes😂😂😂😂.

One word of advice to prevent vaginal dryness and pain with intercourse is to use a vaginal oestrogen.

This only works l ocally and doesnt leak into the bloodstream..

Ho pe this helps.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.