Full Hysterectomy Including Ovary Removal. HRT Help?!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi there every one! My Mum has recently had a full hysterectomy including her ovaries removed. She has now been recommend to start HRT treatment asap. She still hasn't started the treatment as we having been reading through the side effects and she's very nervous. Especially the high rise risk of breast cancer, my Mum is 51 and is 1 week post op. Has anyone else been through the same & has any advice please reply with your experiences or advice, it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The hormones will definitely help ease the hormonal loss--she is going to experience a surgical menopause and it comes on strong. If it were me, I would be looking at bioidentical hormones instead of synthetics. Not all doctors are willing or knowledgeable enough about bioidenticals to prescribe them. Also, without some hormonal supplementation that her body needs, it will affect many other areas of her physiology, inclduding bone, heart and sexual health.

• Posted

I have been using oestradiol (bio-identical) hormones since my full hysterectomy in 1990. I am now 67. No sign of breast cancer - this is more related to genes or unhealthy lifestyle.

Think of all the young women who have found to have breast cancer. They were not using oestrogen therapy. Oestrogen therapy is said to protect the heart, bones, skin, hair, weight, reduced anxiety, reduced depression (except in the cases where these feelings have a cause), reduced anger, etc.

A "bioidentical hormone" is defined as a molecule identical to a hormone produced by the human body. It is not a lot of mushed up plants, but is based on the parts of a plant that is identical to oestrogen, and replicated chemically.

I have used oestradiol in the form of implanted pellets (the best), patches and daily gel when they stopped making the pellets, and then back onto the pellets when I found a compound chemist who made them.

Also Vagifem vaginal pellets, and oestriol cream for the same purpose. The vaginal pellets are easier and cleaner to use but I top it up with smoothing some cream on the delicate bits to reduce and repair any splits.

My maternal aunt had breast cancer, but her life style was totally different to mine. With appropriate treatment, she survived.

As she no longer has her uterus, your mum will not have to take progesterone which will make hormone replacement a whole lot easier.

Best wishes to your mum.

• Posted

It has also been said by some medical fraternity that our breasts are protected by the removal of our ovaries. Cancer of the ovaries and breast cancer is said to be connected.

You can google this to find more information on it - don't just take blog info as truth. Always read medical research instead.

• Posted

Hi i had a hysterectomy at 36 and am now about to turn 45 and i have been taking one form or another of HRT since the day after my op. I have found for me the tablets Premarin to be the best. A lot of people won't use this as it's main ingrediant is horse urine but don't let that put you off. I have now been on HRT for nine years and i have no signs of any form of cancer and my blood pressure is great, no anxiety and no hot flushes and my libido has also improved. You should speak to your GP and see what they suggest am actually very surprised that they didn't start you on something before you left the hospital. Hope all goes well for you x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.