Full Hysterectomy tomorrow!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Morning All, I have just found this fantastic site, I am 39 and going in for a full abdominal Hysterectomy tomorrow, feeling very scared, trying to keep busy today, it is good to read the messages and know there are others going though what you have/ are about to and understand.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Good luck Julie, you will be fine.

I recommend taking some peppermint oil or peppermint tea. Have a little walk whenever you can - it helps with the build up of trapped wind.

Let us know how you get on.

Everyone who has been through it will have a tip or two so any concerns just ask

• Posted

Thank you Susie, I will go and get some today, it a relief to know there are people you can ask about this and know what they are talking about, will contact you once I am back home.
  • Posted

Hi. Im 40 and I had mine done 2 weeks ago. Ovaries gone too. Take magazines or something to do as there can be a lot of waiting around depending where you are on list. I was really scared going in but I promise its not as bad as you think. If you are happy taking pain relief let them as it really does make things easier. I said yes to it all in recovery. Take it easy afterwards and let yourself recover. 2 weeks later and although sore at times feeling good. I didn't have problems with constipation that others seem to but be prepared for that just in case. Let us know how you are in a few days . Good luck smile
    • Posted

Thank you , yes i have my mind on the end goal, to be pain free and feel human again.

• Posted

Hi Julie, 

i can fully appreciate what you are feeling and 24 hours time you will have it behind you, I can tell you that what I expected to feel when I went down to the operation wasn't that bad, they are marvellous and keep you relaxed and when you wake up and realise it's over, the relief is amazing.

all will be well try not to worry too much, this is a great place to have some support and advice. So good luck for tomorrow will be thinking of you.

love Ann xx

• Posted

Hi Julie

Good luck for tomorrow, hope everything goes well for you and that you are first down so you don't have too long to wait.  

Let us know how you get on when you can.  You will soon be joining us all on 'the other side'.

Warmest Wishes

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Hi Julie

Hope you have everything packed and ready to go.  Try and get a goodnight's sleep, it really helps (but I know that is asking a lot!).  

Yes the 'other side' is a good place to be.  I kept a journal so I could see my progress every day, and it is quite amazing how quickly you bounce back.  Also I was very lucky I have had no pain whatsoever, which I find absolutely mind blowing!  

Don't forget to pack your oil of peppermint for the 'gas' pain.  I put 2/3 drops in a glass of water about 3 times a day and didn't have any pain from that either!

Good luck Julie

Love

Jacqui lol

• Posted

Im sure you will be fine. You must be having op done for a reason so think that although it will take a few weeks those problems wil hopefully not be there after that. smile
    • Posted

Thank you, I am working from home today so I can get my house work done as well, I am feeling guilty already abut not being able to do much for a few weeks to help around the house, and also being off work for a few weeks.

My Husband has been very suportive and keeps telling me not to worry he will do it, Work are also fantastic so I have no preassure to get back by a given date etc, I put most of the preasure on my self, need to learn to relax and slow down, guess I will learn that quickly after tomorrow.

I just do not like the unknown, I am having my ovaries out as well and have been told I will be in for 5 days, I have friends and family on stand by to come and help when i get home so I am lucky.

Will let you know how I am going next week.

Take care

Julie x

• Posted

Hi Julie

That is great that your husband is all set to help out and that your work are being fantastic.  Please don't feel guilty, just concentrate on getting through the first 6 - 8 weeks without doing any damage.   Enjoy your time, it goes so fast.   I spent most of my time walking in the Woods with Rosie, she is a very easy dog to walk, like walking with cotton wool on the lead, I would not attempt it with any other dog!  In between walks I rested and did flights of stairs, so soon got my fitness level back.

Gosh 5 days is a long time to be in. rolleyes I had vaginal hesterectomy and I was home the next day.  It is fantastic that your friends and family are going to help when you get home.  

Will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Love

Jacqui smile

• Posted

i guess different Drs and hospitals maybe,they have told me 1-2 days with drains and catheter and go from there, and they do not want me to have to come back a day or two later to have some of the stiches out?, if it turns out to be less than great.

Talk next week, take care.

Julie x

• Posted

Aww bless uh let us know how u get on and feel after cos I've got mine a week today and I'm scared too 😯 xx Good luck xx
  • Posted

Hi Julie,

Good luck for tomorrow.I am 7 weeks post op today following a TAH and BSO also fibroids removed plus several cysts removed which i didn't know until i asked for my pathology report last week.I was in 3 nights,had very little pain relief and basically been on the go most of the time since having the op.The wind and the constipation have been the worst things to deal with along with the hot flushes and the sleepness nights.I started hrt last week but it hasn't had any affect with the hot flushes and sleeping yet.Don't go by the 6 week recovery guide on line.Do what you want when you want to.You will know what is right and what is wrong.

Thinking of you

Teresa

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.