FULL KNEE REPLACEMENT

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have enjoyed reading where all of you are at post surgery. I will in three days be at week seven.  I think the worst thing happening to me right now is I wake up in the morning, I see my leg in the same position as it was when I went to sleep.  Did not move all night.  I start to pull my leg up towards me, and the pain is bad.  Let me discribe it to you.  It is a burning pain, like my leg is on fire.  The skin is tight and the skin and under the skin just burns.  The burning does go away and I am fine for the rest of the day, but waking up in the morning is brutal.  

I also have a hard time waking up.  I am sleeping in to ten in the morning. No place to go, so that is kinda nice, but am worried if I am getting to use to the meds.  Trying to get off of them and have cut the meds to half of what I use to take.

Any suggestions on knees burning and sleeping so much.

Thanks,

Deborah

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Still healing and it takes time to get past it. Do some gental leg lifts, tighten your quads slowly and elevate. Nerve damage is the slowest to heal and comes and goes.
  • Posted

You're sleeping a lot because your body is healing...directing its energy appropriately.  Totally normal.

Tightness, a bit of swelling, clicking/popping can last 18 months or longer.  Totally normal.

Try some Voltaren Gel (US RX)...best topical anti-imflammatory out there because you want to be off the opioids ASAP...

I'm at 9 months and pretty much past everything except for a bit of stiffness and the need to continue building my quads and glutes...all normal.

• Posted

Your body needs sleep and calories to heel. Meds is to keep comfortable and take as directed. If your concerned about becoming dependent on meds don't worry it takes many months and misuse. After time the dr will no longer write prescriptions. Continue with exercises and therapy.

one day at a time. When your feeling better you will be able to move thru a normal day without any issues pain meds or worry.

peace & Heeling

• Posted

Hi Deborah .. can't add to great advice already given above .. just go with it and your knee will let you know where you're at.

Take care... Tracey

• Posted

God bless you! You are able to sleep al night. For a long time I was happy to get a three hour stretch. At 7 and a half months and sleeping pretty well but being in one position ( bent knee or straight) is painful to come out of. Getting straightened out after being comfortably bent for too long is very painful. But I just push through it and pretty quickly that pain passes. It all gets better with time and all the good advice given from the others. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.