Full pelvic floor and sling surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone know how long I will actually be in surgery for? I'm having a sling and either front and rear repair or just the front. I have to make the decision and I firm surgeon on the morning if op as to whether I want both he's worried it will to be too tight, which is no good as I'm still quite sexually active being 37 he wants to do each repair separately as rear repair may wait 6 months or years

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My surgeon did the posterior repairs even though I also had an anterior prolapse (mild) as he said to hve all three at one would be too much at once. The swelling it causes initially is quite difficult to cope with and pain killers are needed so I can imagine to have all three would be an option that I would not have gone for although now nine weeks after surgery it looks like my anterior prolapse has got worse. My surgeon told me that the actual surgery takes about fortyfive mins and they are very positive about the recovery time so that you dont worry too much but the reality is that the first two weeks all you want to do is lay in bed and get up for short walks about but even after that laying on the sofa doing not very much and maybe making the odd meal. You certainly would not be doing your normal routines for about six weeks. I am now 9 weeks post op with a bladder infection so still not doing any outdoor visits. Good luck with your op but be realistic and build yourself a support network of helpers to prepare for aftercare. I have not even been able to do schoolruns so I dont know if you have children but please take care and no lifting
    • Posted

Thankyou very kindly for the realistic info I just feel the need to know everything. I'm gng off work unpaid too as I exhausted all my leave when my mother died in November but I know I can't rush back to work either my job is quite physical I'm a disability support worker x

• Posted

How long is a piece of string Geraldine? But why does how long in surgery matter some urogynaecologists are faster than others and it depends on how difficult it is to repair the prolapse? 
    • Posted

Because I like to know these things no other reason I like to know everything that is going on. It gives me an idea as to how how complex it is also .... I think lol I am scared incase I don't wake up! I'm a baby and cry going under too

• Posted

You aren't going to wake up during the surgery but please discuss all of your fears and concerns with the anaesthetist, a good one will sit down and talk you through everything. Pre meds aren't usually given these days but you can always ask for something to help you relax. The time you are away from the ward isn't an indication of how long the surgery takes because you are usually taken to a room in the anaesthetic department until you are awake and you've been given some pain relief. Most surgery for a repair takes between 45-60 minutes. Please try not to worry but just to say I'm always a bit frightened as well, it's normal. I usually go into the anaesthetic room in tears and we won't be the only ones. But please talk over your fears x

• Posted

Thanks darl I'm just a bit of a worrier and emotional wreck I was gng to fly my mum over to Perth to help me with my recovery however she suddenly passed away after a 5 day fight with meststic cancer and while I was in Ireland my son made the decision to remain there with his father then when I returned to Australia my cousins baby died so I think all sorts of things and I'm on anti depressants 2mg diazepam prn I'm also immunosuppressed and on bp medication and it was still 140/90 last week😱 Therefore I think the worst of everything.

• Posted

Oh Geraldine I'm so sorry to read this, no wonder you are so upset. I hope you are getting support from friends and I know the ladies on this forum will be supportive as they always are. Keep in touch and any worries we always help you with 😘😘

• Posted

That is terrible for you. No wonder you are all stressed. We cant make you feel better but everyone on here will try and support you through it all. We all get scared about surgery . The anaesthetist was really good about explaining everything to me and you will get the opportunity to talk about your fears. I was worried that I would be sick and not have a dish handy and that they would forget to give me an anti nausea jab so I asked specially and they were great.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.