Full thickness subscap tear with retraction

Posted , 2 users are following.

This is a workers comp injury so I am seeing an older workers comp Dr I do not have a lot of faith in - bad communication, his office is a nightmare, etc. The reason I am seeing him is that my favorite ortho (a top ortho in my state) does this older doc's surgeries. The top doc is not covered by my WC insurance plan. So, a win win for me.

I got the results from the MRI (it took me a year to get an arthrogram) and it came back with a full thickness tear of the subscap with 5 cm retraction. The PA at the WC doc discussed the results and tentatively scheduled surgery - we just needed insurance approvals. 

In the meantime I contacted my favorite doc's PA (my daughter and I have been long-time patients) just to see that I was getting the straight scoop. The PA said the retraction is too great and I have too much at atrophy. This is the third time I have torn my subscap - even had an allograft.

So what does this mean. Do I just sit here in pain for the next 40 - 50 years? I am very active and very fit. I have also been in constant, unrelenting pain for 2 years. 

What should I be pushing the Dr. to do, investigate, try?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

OMG how did you tear it with an allograft?   I had a graft about 4 months ago.   My surgeon told me if  it tore again, I would be looking at total shoulder replacement.  Or a reverse shoulder replacement.  It seems like the only option.   I also have had 3 surgeries in a little over 2 years, the last being the graft.  I'm being super careful and following the surgeons instructions  to a T.   I'm a little disappointed in my strength.  I have the range while raising my arm with assistance but without assistance I can only get almost shoulder height.  Did  you have this issue  too?   

• Posted

I had a scope / debride, a second surgery to tighten the capsule, then I tore my subscap and had it repaired, then I tore it again (by scooting up in bed) and had it repaired with an allograph. The from being in a sling I got elbow impingement and had to have that fixed. There was a lot underlying atrophy. No clue how I did it this time. I am 5'-7", 120. Very active. I think I just think I am stronger than I am :-)

The graph lasted about 9 years. I always had really good range of motion (like too much). 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.