Full weight bearing after 2.5 months

Posted , 5 users are following.

I shattered my talus about 2.5 months ago. I had 2 plates and 7 screws placed in the ankle. Today is the first day I am full weight bearing. Oh my goodness it is much more difficult than I expected. I walk with a massive limp and can't go ten feet without needing to stop. I also I am noticing I am putting most of my weight on the outer edge of my foot. I intend to get a cane. Any advice for making this smoother? I probably won't be starting physical therapy for another 2 weeks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Flex your foot forward and backward when you are sitting with it elevated. It helps to exercise the muscles and to get the muscles working. Also you can google post op ankle exercises too.  Best of luck and congrats on your freedom! 😀

• Posted

Hi, your are in same position as myself, my talus shattered also. I have a rod with four screws and a large screw to ankle bone.

I couldn't weight bear without crutches untill recently and I'm 6 months post op. Same as yourself I had lots of pain down the side of foot due to putting weight on one side but it does strengthen with time. I am weight bearing now but still use aircast boot for long walks. I have been referred to Orthotics who are making insoles for my shoe and putting rocker soles on them as well, this is mainly due to previous operation on foot which has been affected by the fusion.

I will say though the more you use the foot the better it gets, I have less pain and virtually no swelling now, it aches after a long day on it but apart from that all is getting better with time.

Try to use it as much as possible and when it starts hurting rest, ice and elevate. That's what I did for 2 weeks or more and it helps enormously.

Unfortunately we are not given a lot to go on post op but I've gained a lot of knowledge from this forum.

I hope it improves for you and if this helps I've just got back from walking the dog for an hour( with boot on but no crutches).

All the best to you.

• Posted

Hi just to let you know I've just walked almost half a mile without boot, used one crutch for balance, had taken no painkillers .

A few weeks ago I was in same situation as yourself so hang on in there it does get better.

• Posted

I have also broke my talus. No need surgery but I wear a cast for 12 weeks with no weight bearing. I also got second and third opinions from other doctors they also said the same conservative treatment. So its 12 weeks now and I am waiting to meet the doctor and do CT next week. I remove my cast but not bearing weight yet. The swelling is go down but a very little swelling around my medial maleolus after 12 weeks. No pain but my foot gets pink reddish color when I stand up. Is it normal for long time of immobilisation?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.