fullness in ear for over a year!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went to see my dr because my ear felt blocked.  Tried the wax drops.  Nothing.  Diagnosed ED.  Tried all sorts.   Nothing worked.  Back to dr.  Had grommet.  After a year its still in and no change.  Had a CT on my ear 2 weeks ago and waiting on results.  Every nown and again i get pain in my neck, sore throat on that side then it goes away.  Sometimes pain.  I cant seem to pop my ears either.  Im so frustrated now!  The constant cracking when i swallow too is annoying.  I just feel i want the grommet out now as its doing nothing.

Im worried its perminant.  If its just ED why cant they just help to unblock the tubes instead of going through all this!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi leigh, hope you will  have had a positive result from scan. my problem is different to yours , I went completely deaf in an already hearing impaired ear, my other ear also is minimal hearing. I have found that no one is taking this seriously although I am unable to follow tv or converstions, it is taking until jan 16 to have hearing reassessment and as for seeing the consultant that is anyones guess, I have been like this for nearly 3 months now and hav e had to resort to buying mickey mouse hearing aids off the internet just to get me through each day- I can understand your frustration but it seems to me the first thing they do is say "it will get better" without even knowing the cause., you dont say your age, I am 73 and am convinced that is a factor in not doing anything in a hurry. I am my husbands prime carer and if he needed me in the night , I would not hear him call out, cant hear doorbell, hav e special phone for conversations, (only way with some people) face to face is possible but inpractical, so my heart goes out to you.

I hope that when the scan shows something, as surely it will, they act fast and put you right- noone appreciates what it is like - only another sufferer.  Goodluck   Del

• Posted

Hi ya.  Oh i totally sympathise with you although your ears seem much worse.  I hope u get answers soon.  We are just numbers to the NHS.  Fobbed off a lot of the time.  Im 38 and have 2 young children so find it very frustrating on a daily basis.  Im always aware of the fullness.  Its in my right ear and seems to get worse when in crowded rooms or in shopping centres.  I dont have the ringing though. Let me know how you get on x
  • Posted

Thanks, I was partially deaf when my 4 sons were small and i am convinced they thought i was ignoring them- one more reason for you to have problem sorted. thank goodness you dont have the noises , i hav e tinnitus in my head (various noises) and a definite ringing in my left ear, more so when I turn my head to the left- I think it iis the bones in my ear but until i get to have a scan , I wont know, 

I hope they do something for you quickly, cheers Del

• Posted

I had a similar problem.  My hearing was muffled for over a year, the doctor prescried me ear drops etc.  At one point I had fluid coming from my ear which would crust over and my face by my ear was swollen, it felt like they were packed with cotton wool that had been pushed too far down to retrieve ( I know that sounds a bit crazy but that is literally what if felt like!) It turned out that I had ezema in my ears.  Flakes had gone into the ear and I had got my ears wet which had turned it to a paste like substance.  I finally got referred to an ENT guy who diagnosed it straight away and literally vacuumed my ears out.  The syringeing and ear drops I had had previously had just made it worse.
  • Posted

On week 3 of right ear fullness. Did yours finally go away?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.