Fully dislocated IOL implant on the retina

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm an adult male in my early 30s, and I was born with posterior polar cataracts in my eyes- perhaps a premature birth. I suppose to have both of my eyes done for cataract surgery in December 2021, but I had an implant IOL fully dislocated right inside my left eye during the procedure. The whole surgical procedure has been aborted because of this complication.

Fast forward until now, according to an eye examination performed by a consultant, my eye condition is fine - no infection, bleeding, inflammation, no sign of retinal detachment or tear. Since the failed procedure, a dislocated IOL is still sitting inside my eye on the retina. My consultant gave me an option whether I wanted to remove an offending IOL and replace a new IOL positioning behind an iris since my posterior capsule ruptured during the procedure. I chose to remove a dislocated IOL for two reasons: first, it annoys me seeing IOL floating in my vision; second, I don't see myself wearing a contact lens every day.

The surgery to remove a dislocated IOL will involve a vitrectomy while under general anaesthesia (deep sleep). Three small incisions in the white part of the eye allow needle-like instruments to enter the eye. Some vitreous (jelly substance inside the eye cavity) will be removed to reduce the chance of pulling the retina while extracting the lens through the anterior chamber. Once extracted, a new IOL will be placed between the iris and the ciliary instead of the posterior bag.

Because of my age and evidence of premature birth, a consultant explained the risk of surgery would be higher, with around a 5% to 10% chance of complication - compared to normal cataract surgery and for older people is 1%. The complication will include retinal detachment/tear, bleeding, iris and cornea damage. The vitreous gel is thicker in younger people, making vitrectomy surgery more challenging than for older people.

Had anyone been through this case before, and what was the surgical outcome at the end (and for young adults)?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.