Functional Dyspepsia - how do others cope?

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hello I am new. I have lifelong IBS issues, which are under reasonable control, but unfortunately I have Functional (Non Ulcer) Dyspepsia now diagnosed recently on top after an endoscopy and ultrasound. They found a small hiatus hernia, and gallstone, but consultant still seems to think it's the FD that is the issue.

I have chronic relapsing/remitting pain high up under my ribs in the middle of my abdomen. I often get bouts that last for days, though they usually ease after a week. The pain causes migraine, and I feel pretty desperate to get it to go which normally it does eventually until the next bout a few weeks later.

I have eliminated a huge number of foods from my diet, but don't want to take any more out as it's healthy and balanced still. I don't take anything for it medication wise, but see a medical herbalist. I did use PPIs for around 4 years at the beginning when I was diagnosed with gastritis/duodenitis, but they were not helping and so I stopped them as I read that long term use wasn't a great idea.

I then felt that foods made a big difference but I am beginning to wonder as I seem to have to cut so many and the list increases......

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

Hi!

I have been diagnosed with FD following gallbladder surgery 9 months ago. My gastro thinks that some sort of damage to the vagus during the surgery is the cause.

I'm lucky in that I don't have any pain. I just have "discomfort" but that's less trivial than it sounds. Literally no matter what I eat or drink I feel as if I'm carrying a child in my stomach (I'm a guy!). In other words, this strange and uncomfortable feeling of fullness accompanied by the production of a lot of gas. Sometimes the sensation of fullness and trapped wine (and the burping) goes on for 4-5 hours after eating.

He's called it "impaired gastric accommodation" rather than gastroparesis and I understand that it is very common in FD whether people know that's what they have or not.

He has prescribed low dose sulpiride (50mg) which I have just picked up a few hours ago. I'm a bit scared to try it because it's apparently an antipsychotic that is used to treat schizophrenia but I do see that it's also used for postprandial FD which is what I apparently have.

Hoping this will get better in time. It's extremely uncomfortable and distracting. Although thankfully not painful.

• Edited

Hi, i've been going through this for the past 6 months. 6 months ago i tested for h pylori that caused me heartburn, fullness, globe sensation, burping, and sore chest and throat, sore tongue, and shortness of breath. i was treated with PPI which didn't help, i have tried any possible herbs, and nothing! i did 2 endoscopy, ph monitoring, esophagues monomatry, all say that everything is ok. i guess i should do barium x-ray, and gastric empty to check them as well. Has nyone here been dealing with that too, and have any solution or something? i am freaking only 25 yo and it turned my life upside down! it's so frustrating i have been an athlete my whole life and i lost 20 pounds that pas few months.

• Posted

Can I ask what your common symptoms are? With both FD and IBS?

I have upper abdominal discomfort which feels like some pressure or tightness in my upper belly, doesn't hurt or cause pain. Sometimes, it can cause some burning but that's not common for me. These are my only symptoms. I don't think any foods give me nausea or stomach pain and I can eat foods just fine. I tend to be on the constipated side sometimes. I've been diagnosed with acid reflux and then, with gastritis but I haven't had an endoscopy for it so I'm not sure. Does this sound similar to FD or even IBS?

• Posted

Hi just joined this forum and surprised to see so many people suffering with this condition same as me. well ill start by saying how my condition developed been suffering with muscle aches and fatigue for a few years but before that had periods of anxiety on and off due to a stressful work place but I seem to cure my self changing diet and doing relaxation exercises. Then 3 years ago had a good 2 months of gerds problems with bad upper stomach pain doctor put me on antacids that made me feel worst after 1 week so i stopped and used apple cider vinegar instead which helped me a lot and got read of gerd. Than 2 years ago after a few years of poor diet mainly carbs and red wine stomach ache came back but even worse back on antacids for a month but still symptoms persisted back to doctor did h.p bacteria test which came back positive so doctor offered triple therapy treatment which I accepted due to my poor knowledge of antibiotics and from then my digestive system went down hill. endoscopy showed h.p eradication but it took away all my good flora as well and I started feeling worst. after 2 years and another endoscopy and a ct scan blood test all came back normal the doc said tried a course of sibo treatment without being diagnosed but didnt make any difference to which my gastroentologist said that i have non ulcer dyspensia. wonder why i couldnt find a way to hill myself as i always do but as im reading here this s**t is hard to treat. any way not advise from any doctor as i had to wait every 6 months for a consultation with my md i picked up a few things that was making me better or worst. eliminated gluten and dairy. gluten would take away stomach pain but would follow up with inflamation and bloatedness and dairy would give me heartburn and gerd. sugar was another one i had to cut down to the limit very hard as after a few days id crave it, grains and beans not so good, a few things that help resting and relaxing breathing exercise, i eat raw ginger as it seems to sooth the pain, my problem cant seem to regulate my eating portion which i need to make smaller its just too hard to adjust so many habits that previously were normal but starting to accept the fact and work on it even though there are bouts some weeks that drain you so much energy. anyway for myself i think i need to learn to be more consistent with my diet as as soon as i start to feel better i start indulging on food i used to love that is not doing my gut any good so i relapse back and thats been my story for 2 years now everyday and still. lets hope a new treatment will come to light apart of antidepressant that doc prescribing now a days but id say the best doctor is yourself just we have to learn how to listen to our bodies. wish everyone getting better from this nonsense or perhaps it is nonsense and maybe letting go and not paying to much attention to it might be the cure but that too is a skill to be learned. id recommend to everyone to listen to Alan Watts mass speeches there is a lot of material that helps a lot mentally

• Posted

i can relate to everything you're saying . i'm on ppi's and tad's nothing has helped. nothing helps. i feel hopeless i can't live this way any longer. the longest i have gone pain free in the past year is a mere 12 days. someone help. the pain is unbearable i'm not going to last.....

• Edited

christina what kind of pain is it? it might be the PPI! i started with stomach nausea last summer and reflux so my doctor put me on pantoprazole. I'd been on it in the past for reflux. After a few months I started to get excruciating stomach pains like pinching biting pains that would seem to move around and even sometimes in my back. it was getting worse and worse even on the meds so i decided to get an endoscopy even though i was scared sh*tless. a few weeks before i actually switched from PPI to famotidine ( pepcid) because something told me to taper off . Anyway, I went off all meds before endoscopy and slowly all the pains went away! Also my endoscopy was normal, no gastrits or anything! i would have bet a million dollars i had an ulcer as the pain was that bad. was also convinced it was h pylori which turns out it wasnt ( biopsy clear). Please try to get off PPI and see if it helps. My pain has disappeared after suffering so badly almost a year!!

• Edited

Hi, if there is anyone still here, I have a question. Is it possible to have symptoms only on the right side of the stomach? I red in the comments funny stomach as a symptom...that is what I am having...funny weird feeling, like a small pressure or tightness, sometimes I feel gurgling and all that is on the right side of the stomach, sometimes upper, sometimes lower. even a soreness on the right side of the waist and kidney. I have this symptoms for about 3-4 weeks . Abdominal ultrasound is ok. The doctor said probably functional dyspepsia and I have appointment with GI next week. when i am googling FD it does say that the pain(actually discomfort is what I am experiencing) is in the upper abdomen, so my symptoms make me think that might be something else

• Posted

hi, Bilyana,

yes I'm still here. my pain is also in the upper abdomen, sonetimes in the middle, sometimes left or right. I also have constant nausea. I also just had an ultrasound which was also ok.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.