Functioning drinking

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been drinking 20+ beers 5 out of 7 days for the last 3 years.  Most of the time I drink over 24 beers.  In the same time my salary has went from 60k to 130k.  Also, my personal life went from gf to nada!

I just left my job because it enables my drinking.  I perform extremely well but at times have been very short tempered while intoxicated.   I told a few of my supervisors that I had drinking issues on many occassions.  When i finally left the company emailed me telling me to 'come back soon'.

I am a functioning drinker.  I can do my job sober or drunk.   When I get drunk it is hard to tell.  With that said i am ruining my life.  My body is suffering.  And no matter what i tell myself my work is suffering.  Enabling is bad and mostly comes from family members.  But sometimes it comes from outside influences.  And when enabling is tied to high pay and bonuses it is a very bad thing.  

I quit my job and am going to visit family.  It was a tough decision.  But the right one.  

Be strong everyone.   There are a ton of reasons to be weak.  But zero good ones.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your resolve to take your life back and get healthy, physically and psychologically, is inspiring and encouraging. Despite the money you were making you realized what your priorities should be. Good luck and well done.
  • Posted

Have you looked into Naltrexone or the other drugs that block the pleasure your brain thinks it gets from alcohol. Read about the Sinclair Method. You take one pill one hour before you have your first drink. I've been doing this for three months and have seen a decrease in my attraction and behavior about drinking. This program has a 78% success rate and can take up to a year to completely quiet your brain's desire for alcohol. I think it's going to save my life.

• Posted

Please look into the Sinclair Method and Naltrexone. I went from a functioning working alcoholic consuming between 17 to 20+ shots of vodka A-day to only a couple of units on the weekend and sometimes none at all . It saved my life, marriage and job. Check it out and keep posting back. The people here are supportive and infinitely helpful.
  • Posted

I've been gone for a few weeks.  I started TSM in August and was very committed for three months.  I'd miss a day or two of the pill, but I still felt I was combatting my problem.  My 87 year old mom, who lived independently, drove and took care of herself, was knocked down by a thug who had just robbed the pharmacy she was walking into.  She went into cardiac arrest, was revived, transported to the hospital where she had another cardiac arrest.  She stayed on life support for five days, when it was clear she was not coming back, artificial support was removed and she died 12 hours later.  I would guess some of what has caused me to have a drinking problem for two decades is that I don't handle bad things well.  I am the matriarch of my family and was very strong through the time in the hospital, with the television press, newspapers, detectives, etc.  Although I'm still trying to take my pill, I'm missing more and more. While her death and subsequent surreal activities don't give me an out, I feel like I'll still try, but will resume in earnest in the new year. Her assaulter/murderer has been caught and now we go through arraignment, trial, whatever.  I can't go to facebook with this as my sister would see it.  This is a safe place for me to be to grieve for my mom and grieve for my inability to work my program.  I'm not looking for sympathy, we've gotten a lot of that, but I missed this group and wanted to reconnect.  We have never been victims of violent crime, but so many families are...I have a new found love and grace for anyone who has weathered this horrific storm.  I'm not beating myself up, although I wish I could be more compliant...I have to look into the face of my mom's murderer next week!  He is a 21 year old kid, already a felon and in California, could be three strikes.  I'm very conflicted about him.  He did a stupid thing, we don't think he targeted her, just knocked her down trying to get out of the drug store without being caught.  Those who pray, please pray for this young man, please pray for our family that we will have peace in what has happened, be glad that she didn't appear to suffer or know what took place.  I pray for all of us who are struggling.  Bless you all, that you can accomplish what you want and be the great humans we were meant to be. xoxoxox

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.