Fundic Gland Polyps

Posted , 2 users are following.

I went for an endoscopy on Friday and they told me that I have fundic gland polyps in my stomach as a result of my taking lansoprazole. The hospital said that I didn't need any further treatment and they didn't take a biopsy of any of the polyps. I assume this is because they didn't feel they are any threat but I don't know much about them so wondered if anyone else has had these.

I was also surprised that they didn't recommend that I reduce my dose of lansoprazole. I'm on 45 mg per day. I was on 60mg but reduced it slightly on instruction from the Consultant when I saw him in outpatients before the endoscopy 2 months ago.

I'm thinking of trying to reduce the dose though because if it's causing these polyps presumably just because they aren't an issue now doesn't mean they won't be in the future and I certainly don't want any more.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Since you were told the polyps were caused by the PPI, I think your doctor is suggesting in a round about way that you should come off PPIs. If my doctor told me that my medication had caused a complication, I would definitely stop the drug responsible.Since they are not taking further action. this suggests that they they think the polyps are benign. However, if you have further questions about them, you should see your GI consultant again.

• Posted

I suppose I wouldn't expect a doctor to tell me anything in a roundabout way. I would expect them to be clear in their recommendation to be honest. In order to see the GI Consultant again my GP would have to re-refer me (you can only make a new appointment yourself if you go private). I definitely don't want to continue taking the meds but I do know from experience if you just stop then you get a massive flare up of symptoms. I've now halved my dose from the original one in conjunction with dietary changes so all I need now is for my GP to split my tablets into smaller doses so I can gradually wean myself off them altogether.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has actually been diagnosed with these polyps and what they actually did in response.

• Posted

Sometimes coming off PPIs cold turkey can cause acid rebound; but not always. I didn't come off mine slowly and I had no rebound symptoms. I would either speak to your GP about the polyps or ask to be referred back to your consultant. There should have been a follow up,appointment with clear answers given. Unfortunately, not all doctors give straight forward explanations and often rely on medical speak and expect us to understand when we don't.

• Posted

Yes there should be a clear explanation but I've had endoscopies at two different hospitals now and this doesn't seem to be the case. On the last occasion I was presented with a photo of my stomach (thank you) and a bit of a garbled explanation from the nurse. No disrespect to the nurse but she struggled a bit when I asked things like, how come they don't need to be treated/biopsied. I'm sure there's a good reason. I'd just have liked to know what it was! The time before was even worse. A corridor chat with someone who was walking away from me whilst they were explaining the outcome and I went away unclear about what they'd said and had to go and see my GP for some facts.

In terms of the tablets I can't go cold turkey unfortunately - have tried before and results were not pleasant. That's why they sent me for the scope I think as I've been on them 4 years. I've managed to halve the dose over 3 months with diet changes so I'm hoping if I do the rest gradually this will continue to work.

• Posted

Nurses are not qualified to give you answers and usually will tell you to speak to your consultant or GP for that. They're like that in my doctor's surgery; they won't give you details of your results over the phone. Hope you can get help soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.