Fundiplication a year ago

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all..

So tomorrow 8th June will be a year since I had my hiatus hernia and reflux fixed..

I was terrified before I had it but now a year on I'm glad I had it done.. Yes it was a long road of recovery but for the sake of a few months of discomfort and odd diet it was worth it because I was suffering since I was very young, with bad acid reflux, and everything that comes with it.

I can eat and drink what I want now but smaller portions to what I was having before operation. In recent months I can count on one hand the amount of times I've felt nausea, before op nausea episodes could be several times in a week, I've had the odd bit of acid but a good burp clears it quickly, I've got a little bit of phlegm still but nowhere near amount I had before., my tiny scars have got some scar tissue which sometimes after a busy day can be a bit tender.

I'm very happy with my new stomach.. 😁

Margaret

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Margaret,

So glad you have no regrets and are far along in the healing process.

Can I ask what your experience entailed? Hospital stay, initial recovery time, dietary restrictions?

I just got the diagnosis yesterday of a hiatal

Hernia and the doctor mentioned surgery was most likely. I'll get more details next week but in the meantime am trying to learn a little more. I realize every patient is different but really have no idea what I'm in for.

Thanks kindly!

• Posted

Hi cas

I was only in hospital overnight and was allowed home next day when I was able to swallow.

I took 7 weeks off work, mainly because my job is quite physical housekeeping and I went back on light duties for about a couple of weeks. Thankfully I have very good employers.

Regards

Margaret

• Posted

Hi Margaret

That should really good to hear.

I am now 8 months post op and I also feel great. I still have a bit of throat clearing and cough now and again but nothing like before.

I am now back at the gym working out and trying to get my fitness levels back up.

I haven't felt this great in years and so pleased I had the op.

Louise

• Posted

That's wonderful Margaret. I can't believe it's been a year already. I can Remember reading your posts after your op as if it was yesterday.

Gastro says I'm not bad enough to warrant op as I haven't got much damage! But I didn't push it because I've been quite good lately. Not cured but better.

• Posted

Hi,

Yes I can't believe a year has passed too.. It's been a long road but not as long as the time I lived with reflux and all the rubbish symptoms that come with it..

I can't find any of my posts from a year ago.. 😕 I would love to read them again but they seem to have disappeared..

Regards

Margaret

• Posted

Hi Margaret

Glad to hear all is God with you. The year has gone realy fast. I went to see a Diatian yesterday as still having few issues with food. Keep getting ulsurs and wasn't sure if was still getting acid reflux again as was wake up with nasty taste. Think work Stress was cause of this. But now putting my food down saying not my problem don't care and so on and not letting them wind me up.Had good chat with Diatian at St Peters hospital yesterday. She has told me to try get more proten milk youghrt cheese and take multi vitamins again. Trying doing home made smothy with just bit fruit then if ok gradually increase. As keep get belt trying to be sick. Every time thought was going ok .I would get that sick feeling and start heaving . Or get pain when eating. I've gone down from size 14 to between 10 and 8. Like new size but lack energy. Last few days keep feeling light headed and faint. Diatitins said just need to get nutrition value up and then things should improve. I was fairly good today had milk shake chicken wrap but only eating half for lunch then rest for dinner as wasn't hungry. But going to try hard to take advice and try get strength back . Try and go for walk most lunch times weather permitting try to do about 55 min. I have Doctor appointment in morning see what she has to say as they keep sending me for blood test . Different one . Mainly liver function and full blood count. But made a point again of saying to my boss is am not letting work Stress me any more have one life and more important. Think she got hint as let it wind me up no work was covered for the 4 weeks was off and or screw up that been made sort out every else screw ups. Said I'm not doing it anymore more .. I will just have to be strong and stick to it... sure will be fine soon. Glad had operation that also nearly a year down link as was August 8th still off alcohol or one glass buckfizz at friends wedding. But if can work on nutrition side sure all will fall in to place. I did enjoy read all you logs as grey did help me... sorry bit long winded but nice to compare were we are both at.. knowing what i do now i would still do it but would put my foot down at work and not let stress me out as think that put my recovery back a bit as cause you body to make more acid so slow down healing and make what I eat nutrition so would feel so tiered. Well when get there hopefully can have glass Jack Daniel or some alcohol to celebrate... good luck and hope you continue to be ok and have no problems.

Take care

As you say you don't always hear all the good side. I don't want people to think negative because I have few more problems you just have to think more about yourself and not let life and work wind you up when trying to recover just be kind to yourself and remember it take time as you body has to adjust. Don't try and rush things ..

• Posted

Hi Zena,

Gosh I was actually thinking about you today how you are getting on and was going to message you as you weren't too good last time we spoke..

I hope you get sorted out quickly, I'm so happy now with my new stomach, I am eating what I want as long as it's not a huge portion and I don't have to sleep sitting up anymore, I've been drinking alcohol but I drink it slowly and can manage no more than 2 drinks per evening, mainly craft ales or beers or a glass of wine red or white no problems,

I had bbq food Sunday and washed down with a couple of Doombar and the only thing kept me awake was the heat.. Before op I would have been sat up most of the night drinking gaviscon.. It's good to hear from you.. Let me know how you get on..

Unfortunately I can't find all my blogs from last year when I wrote down everything from day one of op as I would like to read it again..

Regards

Margaret

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.