Fundlipocation waiting list..... warning Rant!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was taken into hosp on Sat evening as I couldnt control my pain. After lots of entonox, oramorph and tramadol, eventually I was comfy and went home at 4 am with instructions to ring my consultants secretary. and tell them what happened and could I move up the list.Eventually got hold of the temporary secretary ( the proper one was off sick and left her answerpone on saying it was July 25th! - I had to do some detective work to get to her temporary replacement)

I told her about the hospital trip and asked how far I was on the list... oh, she said you wont be on it yet.. you have only been waiting 14 weeks and the list is 40 weeks... yes !! 40 weeks!!!! I was amazed when originally i was told 6 months or 24 weeks but 40???!!! It will be next spring before Im seen. Not sure how im going to make it that long as im detriorating . Just have to suck it up im suppose.... and my sister wonders why Im saying the the NHS wasnt designed for this number of patients..

I am in the Midlans with surgery in Coventry... Surely its not this bad elswhere ?

Rant over.....watch this space

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately this looks like the situation and with cutbacks it will only get worse.

Problem is, fundplication is classed as elective surgery rather than emergency or essential so patients linger at the bottom of a long list. I had to wait months for mine and it's got worse since the "18 week" rule was quietly dropped. (Mind you, before that happened, it was a case of the clock being restarted at each of the diffrent stages on the journey from inital request to ending up on the theatre table. ) I had to continually nag - and I know the consultants and surgeons etc quite well.

• Posted

Did the op work out well for you?

I hate nagging as I know there are a lot of very sick  people out there and ours is almost an invisible disease, but, neverless is very life altering.

• Posted

Absolutely. The best thing I ever did.

Unfortunately, following 5 hours of violent retching from norovirus, it came loose and I had it repaired a couple of years ago.

No more meds and reflux insignifcant. Still got my Barrett's of course.

• Posted

Thats good news..... fingers crossed I dont have to wait until Spring 2017!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.