Fundoplicatio

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi... I have a small amount of barretts and am on 15mg lansoprazole twice daily. This is a reduction in medication from the 60mg daily prescribed to treat an ulcer last year, which was reduced to 45mg then the 15mg twice daily option. This is because the consultant does not want me to be on high doses of medication. However recently, in fact for the last couple of months, I have had the symptoms again of oesophagitis, for which I have upped my dose of medication ( I had some spare!) but now have to decide to see the doctor again to make a semi permanent change to my prescription (I.e back to 60mg ) until this current episode calms down. The consultant told me I wouldn't flare ups, but I am reluctant to have this situation till my next scope in 2018. The other option is the fundoplacation operation. I don't feel badly Unwell but worried that the leakage of acid into my oesophagus is aggravating my barretts and continuing to cause ulcers.I have a hernia and have been confirmed as having reflux disease. The surgeon will do the operation , but I am still unsure.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi shellj

Just like you i get flareups on and of fir past 4yrs and biopsies showed intestinal metaplacia at ge junction..... I suffer more from throat pain and discomfort but calms down with 60mg of lansaprazole which after bout 3 months i then reduce to 30mg but then iam so fed up and thinking of getting the fundoplication ...... Because i keep thinking bout the recovery as i have 3 young kids..... But if you have nothing to worry about after the fundoplication then maybe you should get it done. Also wanted to know i have read somewhere that after fundoplication it us hard to surveillance barrets due to scarring... Is this true?

• Posted

If your problems are mainly from acid in the oesophagus, ie oesophagitis/heratburn, PPIs should manage it. 60 mg lansoprazole is a normal high dose that many are on.

I was oon 80mg omeprazole (equivalent to 120mg lansoprazole) for a few years prior to having a fundoplication. However, for me te symptoms were of reflux (cough etc) rather than acid.

Hwever, a fundoplication may well be a consideration. Following mine I was totally medication and symptom free.

• Posted

Hi Shellj,

probsbly best to get the consultants advice on your condition, go for the fundoplication - only if your condition is really bad, and the medication is not working.

i also was diagoninsed with Barrett's, and severe reflux and a hiatus hernia, I had a very poor life health wise, I wasn't able to eat or drink much, I had this constant full feeling, heartburn at night, could not go out to restaurants for lunch or dinner. I had occasional breaks of feeling ok and being able to eat out, but not often. It got me very depressed. Also stress is the main factor, of this condition, stress can cause more acid which give you  the heartburn or something like that anyway, I knew the more stress in my life the worse I felt. Read up all about the fundoplication. I researched a lot before I made my decision to have the surgery.

its 9 months now since my operation - I am so thankful to God.

i can eat almost anything, not big meals but small meals, I chose to eat healthy, and always have. I look and feel so much better now, everyone tell me how good I look, I lost a lot of weight and look good.

all the best with your health my lovely, believe there is light at the end of the tunnel. Stay in faith. Looks like you are doing the right thing in seeking help through this forum, which is what I did as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.