Fundoplication

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my toupet fundoplication Friday the 26th May. I have suffered with GERD for years now and was on a high dose of lansoprazole. Despite only consuming a very bland diet and I mean very bland diet I still have awful symtoms including acid, regurgitation of food, trapped gas in my esophagus and lower down, bitter taste in my mouth, bleching alot, having to sleep evalvated otherwise contents who shoot in to my esophagus. I also had issues with swallowing.

After tests a partial wrap was agreed with my consultant.

I am now 5 days post op and managing on liquid paracetamol for the pain as it's not that bad at all.

I'm also taking anti sickness medication as you can't be sick after this operation and retching could tear the stitches.

my experience so far has been okay to be fair. The most discomfort is the extra gas and it makes me feel very full meaning I don't want to eat much. therfore massively affecting my energy.

The most unpleasant bit for me was the gastric tube I came round from the op with,up my nose in to my stomach, this was making me swallow more air and therefore filling me up with air... extremely uncomfortable. Because it was so thick I couldn't really talk or move without feeling sick, it was removed the morning after my op. THANK GOD!

I was also forced to eat pureed food at the hospital which I shouldn't have done as this made me very ill.

now home i feel im recovering well. im eating yoghurts with mashed banana, ice cream and jelly and soups. i have no issues with swallowing just lots of gas but this is normal and should improve after a few weeks.

i will continue to uodate with my recovery as when I was researching couldn't find much up to date forums discussing this.

any questions feel free to message.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

now 10 days post op toupet fundoplication. Im feeling pretty good. no pain. 5 incision healing well.

only issues is energy and bowel movements. both normal after a major surgery.

I can't eat much as full very quickly... almost as if I've had weight loss surgery.

but over all feeling relatively good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.