FUNDOPLICATION AND GASTRIC DUMPING

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had fundoplicaiton done in May 2017. Follow up endoscopy in May 2018 showed everything ok. Since then I have had 2 episodes where I've eaten something that was "unusual" for my digestion system at the time and 20 minutes later I've experienced severe stomach pains, need to use my bowels, then fainting - second episode I has spasms where I vomited (actually nothing came up) but it was autonomous - this happened 3 times before I could get home to take some stemetil. the last episode happened on 26th December I am having similar symptoms to after the op whereby food seems to be straining through right where the stomach meets the oesophagus and probably symptoms of heartburn but somewhat different. I just had 2 soft boiled eggs and I have a lump feeling. I am waiting to hear from the surgeon. In the meantime I googled vomiting after fundoplication and came up with info on Dumping Syndrome which describes exactly what happened to me in both episodes. It suggests a low carb diet., I had been contemplating that anyway as I tend to feel better when on it Anyone shed any light, or had any similar experience? Thanks in advance

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

So you can vomit after your nissen? All your symptom are sounding like the vagus nerve issue.

Have you had a gastric emptying test done?

• Posted

Yes, I was thinking maybe vagus nerve. I had a RASP test done before and after the op. Stomach emptying was ok. Still waiting on call back from doc. This is the first I have been able to even speak to his office since Christmas - they were on leave, then not taking calls because they were so busy. Spoke to Gastroenterologist who couldn't offer any advice! Will see what he says.

• Posted

Having a nissen traps or twist the vagus nerve and the nerve is unable to fully function. Also a nissen takedown is very risky because it can cause more damage or cut the nerve. Make sure you have an experienced surgeon if you go that route. I had to have a thoracotomy to get my nissen taken down safely. Mine was twisted. I had to go from TX to Florida and see Dr Farid Gharagozloo who is a cardio thoracic surgeon. He took my nissen down safely and gave me a esophageal valvuloplasty. I just wanted to let you know there are other options out there for you. I had 2 failed nissens myself.

• Posted

are you saying that you had to have it repaired? what were your symptoms? I'm in Sydney, had the expert do the job. Just concerned that the vomiting caused some damage maybe.? Still waiting a return call from the surgeon.

• Posted

Yes, i had it fully takendown. I got esophageal valvuloplasty instead. I was very sick with the nissen and almost died.

• Posted

There are a set of vagus stimulation exercises which helped me greatly. You may try them since they appear so harmless .

1. Cold water shower.
    2. Breathe out and keep pushing for 10 seconds before breathing in. Repeat 10 times.
    3. Massage.

I did these and a couple of others and the vagus seemed to get better. Breathing, blood pressure, heart rate improved. My pancreas started doing fine too.

• Posted

There are a set of vagus stimulation exercises which helped me greatly. You may try them since they appear so harmless .

1. Cold water shower.
    2. Breathe out and keep pushing for 10 seconds before breathing in. Repeat 10 times.
    3. Massage.

I did these and a couple of others and the vagus seemed to get better. Breathing, blood pressure, heart rate improved. My pancreas started doing fine too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.