Fundoplication and hernia repair

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello, I am 24 years old and I currently live my life on 40mg of ompreazole a day.

Last week I confirmed with my consultant that I am going to have the fundoplication, he seems very positive and said due to my young age and no other known serious medical conditions my recovery and results will be good!

I have seen so many negative posts about the surgery on this forum and very few positive, but I am going to be positive, I'm 24 and having already had Barratts confirmed I am not prepared to let my mouldy oesophagus win haha!

Just wondering if there is anyone else of a similar age who has successfully had the operation?

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Stephanie, I am certainly not your age but I had my procedure 2 weeks ago today. 

So far so good. No abdominal swelling post Surgery & my sloppy diet is going well.

I am under the care of a very good team &. I would suggest that you ask for a second opinion. My diagnosis seems to have been the same as yours except my stomach had rotated so I was lucky that it didn't become an emergency. If your hiatus hernia is large I fail to see how you can avoid the repair because it won't heal itself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.