Fundoplication operation follow up?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I am just curious to know whether after having this operation whether you had a follow up with your surgeon or not? This question comes after I have seen a few posts where people haven't. I looked at my paperwork from the hospital - and it doesn't mention a follow up, and to be honest I didn't think to ask when I was in hospital. I thought they would maybe check to make sure you are eating ok afterwards! I had my op 5 weeks ago.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

How are you feeling? Can you eat without pain? Was your recovery difficult?
    • Posted

Hi Dane,

I'm feeling a lot better. I am almost on a full diet now - albeit small portions. The first couple of weeks I had resdual pain - and get tweeks now and again - but I had more pain from the spleen repair than the actual wrap itself! I've had no major swallowing issues, and have not had meds since my op on 12th March.

• Posted

Hi Glennie,

I have seen some of your previous posts and wonder how you are getting on after your op?  Do you feel it was successful and have you made a good recovery?

Mine is a long story but I struggle every day with chest pain and heartburn, I am taking esomeprazole and domperidone but they don't seem to help.  Have just received an appointment for a second PH manometery test but this is not until the end of May which seems a long time away.  I just have to keep on punching and hopefully one day it will be sorted out. 

I do hope your op has been successful and you are feeling better now.

Best wishes,

Lynne

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

I would say the op has been a success. I am now eating things that gave me reflux - and not getting reflux! I I am just about back to eating a normal diet - although I have not tried anything 'dry' yet - like nuts or biscuits, I'm meds free, and feeling miles better for that. There is a fair bit of pain post-op - and as I mentioned to Dane, I've had more pain from the spleen repair they had to do (my stomach was stuck to it - they pulled it away - and my spleen bled!) I've not really 'felt' the wrap at all.

It is worth going through the pain and the tests if you feel the operation is the only route. I am hoping my wrap lasts me out - and I'm sticking to the advice I was given by someone who's had a wrap for a long time. Eat small portions regularly, eat slowly and chew thoroughly. I always have been a fast eater - I've slowed down - and I enjoy my food so much right now!

I hope you can get some good results from your tests - and if surgery is the route you decide, read up, find a good surgeon, give it a go.

I would say - I've had a partial wrap - opposed to a nissen - so I have been able to progress a bit faster than a nissen patient.

• Posted

Hi Glennie,

Really good to hear you are recovering well.  

Best wishes,

Lynne

• Posted

hi Glennie

Glad you are diung so well, I had my post follow up with my surgeon at 3 months

• Posted

Thanks Moonbuggy,

I will just wait and see what happens. I am definitely going to have a holiday though. I've held back booking due to hospital appointments so I will probably leave it a couple more weeks then get a last minute deal. I already booked a week off work for the end of June. Will be so nice to eat and drink again!

• Posted

Hi Glennie

I had 2 follow up appointments - 1 about 2 weeks after the op, and then one about 8 weeks after.

• Posted

Thanks jody,

I was just told to go to the doctors after a week, which I did. I should have asked about follow up - but I don't think it's a big worry for me. I'm doing a bit more each day, just tire easily!

• Posted

Just an update for all you people out there. In my NHS trust there is NO FOLLOW UP - so if you have any issues get in touch with your surgeon. I feel like I've been dumped with a diet sheet and left to get on with it. I did have questions - but you know what - I'll see my GP.

• Posted

Thats bad. It's a big op so I'm amazed at that. My surgeon saw me at about 3 months. He even did a post op after gall bladder removal.

Hopefully if you have got any issues and you dr can address.

I trust you are doing OK. 

• Posted

Hi Moonbuggy,

I'm OK - the wrap is working fine and I can eat/drink pretty much what I want. I've got big issues with constipation though - and that's what I will be seeing the doc about. I have found something that is working - but I need to know if it's OK to use long term - and whether this will get better with time or not. I know you are not supposed to put strain on your wrap - but that is what I have learned from talking to people and forums - not for any advice I've been given. You know it would have been nice even to get a phone call to see how I was doing - what time does that take?! Same NHS trust will follow up a minor piles op - but not stomach surgery....wtf!!!!

• Posted

Hi Glennie

Some of the symptoms post op are unpleasant. I had chronic diarrhea for 3 months and was terrified to leave the house. Then it just stopped thankfully. I still seem to have the odd few days of constipation followed by the trots. The anatomy of the stomach has been changed and I read that it can take 12 months for everything to settle. I just eat little snacks now otherwise I suffer from dreadful bloating for hours. I still think I have some underlying digestive issues. My surgeon is fed up with me now I think but at least he is still seeing me until I am sorted. I think we have to be our own docs sometime. Meanwhile I am trying high dose probiotics to see if they help. At least your reflux is better which is good

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.