Fundoplication - surgical opinion

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I have acid reflux and vomit bile most mornings, along with heartburn on and off all day. I have been on 40mg omeprazole for 4 years and it appeared to give some mild relief at first, now it has no effect. I was referred to the hospital as there was nothing else medically to try (we'd tried every combination of the few meds), and was referred for some tests. The results came back that I have a slightly lax lower oesophageal sphincter and a raise DeMeester score, along with a very small hernia.

My gastroenterologist has referred me to the surgeons for consideration for surgery but whilst waiting I'm working myself up over the fact that if they say they won't operate then I'm potentially left to vomit daily and lose my voice so often it makes working life difficult too. I know it's a question only the surgeon can answer 100% but does anyone know the criteria for the surgery on the NHS/whether I would meet it?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Check on the LINX procedure as an alternative to fundoplication
  • Posted

Hi there!

I have just had a laproscopic fundoplicatin operation done. I can belch and I'm pretty sure I could vomit too. It depends on the wrap you have done. I had a 270 toupet as opposed to a 360 nissen. This is a wrap that is much less likely to be too tight and cause swallowing problems. I thought I would be on clear liquids for days -but surgeon said soft diet day after op, so mashed potaoes and gravy, weetabix with lots of milk etc. Ask if your surgeon does a partial wrap! Linx can be ok but not good if you have a hernia over 3cm. Also this may need replaced after 10 years.

• Posted

Hi Glennie

How are you? Did you stay overnight after?

Please be careful with eating. My surgeon advised me to stay on soft foods as long as possible as this will help the healing. Worst things for me were scrambled eggs and rice as they kept getting stuck

• Posted

Hi Moonbuggy,

I had a night in hospital due to an unforeseeable complication, but was really glad as my shoulders hurt like hell! I don't mind the soft food diet. Having to eat jelly and custard, mashed potatoes and gravy, weetabix and milk makes me feel like I am about 7 again! The hospital stay over was not that unexpected, I did pack in case anyway as the operation was in the afternoon. I went in at 3pm and didn't get out of theatre until 5.30pm. Incidentally a lady who had the same op before me had to stay over too. I reckon the only way it can be done in a day is when you are in first thing. It's very early days, but I'm feeling o.k.

• Posted

Hi Glennie, lovely to see you have come through your op and everything went well, must be such a relief for you, you helped me when i first came on to here, i am still battling with the proffessionls lol and am no further forward, keep getting better xxx
    • Posted

Hi Jules,

I really hope you can get sorted too. I remember reading an article about anti-reflux surgery - where it basically said you would have a fight on your hands - and you do! Once they say they'll do something - you still have to wait an age until all the tests are done.

I'm glad to be through this part - just have to build up my strength again. I've not encountered any swallowing issues yet - but I'm sticking to mushy food for now - and crushing all my tablets!

• Posted

Hi aaa1989 i have  acid reflux i bring up thick yellow stuff and tastes horrible and it burns the back of my throat and its like am choking cant breath with it , but i dont suffer  sickness in the mornings, i know if i eat toasts it will tricker heartburns of am on medication but if i over eat or sleep after eating then it starts i bring up bile thick yellow stuff which burns the back off my throat its horrible when this happens i drink plenty of hot tea this softens the yellow stuff so i can cough it up.

if i cough before i have tea its like am choking and gasping for air, i have told the doc this but i havent been told about surgey to stop this.I  hope they do the surgery for you 

• Posted

The criteria is usually that meds dont work and you must have the right swallowing function (barium swallow and 24 hr ph testing).

I had mine done a few months ago. I can belch ok and eat normally now. There can be some unpleasant side effects for a while so you need to be aware (not all surgeons tell you about those!)

I had chronic diarhea for 3 months to the point I was terrified to leave the house. This has now stopped. I now seem to have chronic flatulence but not sure if that is to do with the op or not. Also make sure you get a good surgeon.

• Posted

thanks for your reply- I had 24hr ph testing, and an Esophageal manometry which looked at the swallowing and muscle movements, sorry that you've had problems since- I hope they are shortlived, I do think I'd take the gamble right now tbh and try and get sorted :\
    • Posted

Hi aaa

Thanks. Everyone is different I guess. I think some of my issues were that I also had my gall bladder out a few months before the Nissen so I think my digestive system has had a bit of a bashing (not to mention the tum looking like a jigsaw with all the portholes - 11 now - LOL)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.