fungal infection of toe.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had this infection since the beginning of june and I'm getting very fed up with it. I have now seen four doctors, no continuity at our surgery!  It has now been decided that this is what I have, I started with daktacort cream and have moved on to fucibet cream which seems to be working.However I'm suffering now from an itchy skin which is driving me mad!!A few odd spots but no great rash. Any ideas anyone?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My experience with fungal infections could fill a few books, I hate to sound so pompous, but, I paid my dues.  You are lucky doctors even got around to diagnosing the fungal infection so soon.  Some people have these infections all their lives.  The invasion of fungus is far worse than the few spots indicate.  It probably isn't confined to just one toe with a few spots.  And I am not certain it is the cream that is causing the itching.  My advice is to find someone you can have a good dialogue with (doctor) about fungal infections and approach the subject of systemic treatment, i.e. pills not creams.  I had atheletes foot for probably 30 years, off and on.  When I got a shocking candidiasis in my oesophagus, I went on fluconizole for weeks at a time.  Now I am not advising any one else to do this, it is controversial, but a two week trial of a good antifungal may just clear up what other people live with for decades. 
    • Posted

sorry if I didn't make myself clear. The fungal infection covers my left big toe. this is responding, slowly, to the new cream, but the odd spots are on my back,thighs and neck.its these that itch!
    • Posted

Is that an allergic reaction?  Sounds like it and you should definitely stop the cream.  
    • Posted

think you might be right! didn't put any on yesterday and hardly itched at all. put some on at night and I've itched ever since!!I might try(!) and get a doctors appointment, even that takes forever, so it might have cleared up by then.
  • Posted

I'm pleased to say that my toe is almost back to normal. Just a slight redness now. However I'm still itching!!Saw the doctor who advised to stop using fucibet for a couple of weeks, but if the infection looks as though its returning reapply. As for the itching, not a lot of help.Suggested changing my moisturiser. She gave me a script. for a soap substitute cream similar to diprobase.I shall try that and see how it goes.
  • Posted

Dear Betty, perhaps I am being oversimplistic but if I were you, I would take a good antihistimine and see if it helps.  There are also some good antihistimine topical gels, but I would go with a pill.  Break the immune response, get some relief, then start reintroducing possible allergy causes and if you get the itching back, you have your culprit.
    • Posted

I think this is what I will have to do, watch this space!!
  • Posted

I agree with a systemic approach, together with natural soaps containing a high concentration of honey (e.g. kills bacteria very effectively), as a good approach where you might be suffering itching from the topical preparation (every cream requires modern chemicals to remain stable, and several of these are irritants). 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.