fungal nail

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I have had what looks like a fungal infected nail for over a year now, never really bothered me but think comes from getting damaged during playing football and then developing from there. 

Recently the other big toenail has seemed to develop fungus.

firstly, do the images look like nail fungus? 

Secondly, is it recommended to cut away the section of nail that is infected? For example the new issue in the toenail is only ever slightly along the top and I could probably cut it away. 

I have got my hands on some of the nail varnish type medication that I am going to start but was wondering whether trimming them back and exposing the skin would help first before applying the solution?? 

How spreadable is nail fungus? Can I spread it through sharing the bed with my partner? Or the shower?

thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

It looks like toenail fungus to me. I think you should cut away the parts of the nail that is infected to prevent the spreading. Clip it short and straight across before applying the solution. Finally, nail fungus is mildly contagious. It can be spread to others through touching contaminated surfaces or sharing infected objects. So, you should avoid walking barefoot, change your socks and shoes often and do not share your socks or shoes with others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.