Fungal toe-nail infection - about time I did something about this! Can it cause other issues?

Posted , 57 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi all, my first post here and I am really hoping that somebody can advise me.

In my teens I had a dreadful fungal nail infection on my toenails - for example the nail on my right sided big toe was completely yellow and crusting away, and all the nails were effected, but the doctor wouldn't prescribe the tablets I needed to clear it up as he said I was not old enough and that they can cause other problems anyway. So he always gave me anti fungal cream that I had to apply twice a day, but it never ever did a thing!

When I got a bit older (around 22, 6 years ago) I decided to give the tablets a go because I was so disgusted with my toenails and it was really effecting my self-confidence. To my amazement the infection started to clear up on most of my nails and things were looking positive. However I started to feel really ill, and thinking it was the tablets, I stopped taking them. My nails still for the most part looked good though.

But now my fungal infection is back again, and whilst my big toenails look almost normal and fine, the other toes, especially on my left foot, are a bit manky, some are even yellow. I don't know what to do about this really and was hoping someone could advise me. I would usually go to the doctors, but I am currently signed off work with what they say is anxiety/depression and extreme fatigue, and I have to go to the doctors enough as it is, and am also taking medication for the depression and also an underactive thyroid, so I don't really want to be taking more tablets - also I am starting to get really self-conscious about going to the doctors, almost feeling like they must be fed up to the back teeth with me, so I am nervous about going back with yet another problem sad

I know that back in the day (my teens) when I first had the problem, there was really only the anti-fungal cream, which as I said before, seemed to do nothing whatsoever, but now I always see adverts on TV with products that can be bought over the counter and say they clear up the infection completely. What I want to know is which product would you recommend, or would you say it is best to have a doctors appointment?

Also, does having the infection on my toes cause problems for other parts of the body? I am starting to wonder if there is a link with me having the fungal infection on my toes and my tiredness, as I read that yeast infections can cause fatigue.

Any information would be much appreciated

Thanks

4 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I have seen many threads on this condition 'Fungal infection on nail' here on patient, hope you find your answers on some of these threads. (sorry if it seems that I am stating the obvious)

best wishes

• Posted

We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I have posted this in the right section haven't I? (I clicked on "Fungal Infection Of Nail" forum, hoping it is appearing there)
  • Posted

Hi, I have come on here as after years of trying I am finally free of toenail infections.

For years I was using the paint on varnish but my doctor said we don't precribe that anymore as it does not work (clearly) Very expensive and useless.

He prescibed me Terbinafine 250mg. one a day for 6 months.

Then I went to Boots and got some Tea tree oil, it's £4 and last for weeks. Cut you toenail as short as you can then put a drop of oil on all your nails morning and night. The shorter you cut the nail, the better.

After 12 weeks my nail is perfect, but I am still taking the Terbinafine to complete the 6 months course.

I never thought I would get rid of the infection as it's been ten years. My nails look perfectly normal and healthy now so good luck :-D

(Angiebrighton 28 February 2012 at 11:28AM)

• Posted

This has just given me hope. I've had an infection in my big toe nail for 3 years now and its spread to my other big toe and the rest of my toes are going bad! Ive been on Terbinifine for nearly 9 months with little or no result. Ive just started tea tree oil so wish me luck!!
  • Posted

Apparently there are lots of things you can use to clear up fungal infections of the nails, tea tree oil as already mentioned but one other is URINE! Some people swear by drinking it but the majority have said that soaking their feet in it every day works too. You'll find lots of websites with instrutions on what to do. Oh, by the way, it's best to use your own urine rather than someone elses!!
  • Posted

if you soaK in original Listurine mouth wash 15 minutes a day it will be gone within 3 months For mild fungusand no stinky fungus feet, yay!
    • Posted

Can you re-use the listurine each day.  I'm trying to work out what best to use to soak my foot in????
  • Posted

We delete content if it doesn’t meet the requirements in our Terms & Conditions.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up