Fungal toenails

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone any history/advice to deal with fungal toenails? I have on each toenail but am reluctant to embark on tablet solution.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Donna, I am in the same situation.  Anxious to see if anyone has a solution. Thanks!
  • Posted

I use Nailner liquid (see www.nailner.com) which I paint on the offending toe nail once a day.  Its a long term commitment as you may know as you need to maintain the treatment until the disceased part of the toenail grows out.  I used this treatment in preference ot others as it seemed simpler to use.  I started using this at the beginning of December last year.  Over the time, the diseased nail has started to crumble (non painful) leaving the end of the toe clear.  However, its a work in progress as the new non-fungal nail has yet to grow through and I would be interested to hear from anyone who has gone through the end game.

• Posted

I live in the tropics where "tropical ear" a fungus is common.

The common topical medicine to treat is aqua ear - glacial acetic acid and isopropyl alcohol.mix.

Same medicine works for all sorts of foot fungus we get in the tropics.

• Posted

It comes in a dripper bottle, and due to the alcohol content it runs into all the crevices getting excellent coverage which thicker cremes do not do.
  • Posted

I have heard that Australian tee tree oil is a good treatment. You can google it to read about it and find out where to buy it.

Ragnar

• Posted

Thank you RD. I wonder if there is anyone who's had success with Tea Tree oil

• Posted

8 out of 10 of my nails are thickened beyond recovery. I've not tried any long term topical treatments partly due to the cost (and my nails are so bad I don't honestly think it will work) and because I'm still breastfeeding my son. I did try an anti-fungal medication before I fell pregnant but it had little effect other than to make me feel unwell if I ate certain foods because the meds can effect your liver. I've found the best results have come from clipping the nails right back, filing them as much as is comfortable and massaging vicks vapor rub into the nail bed every night. It seems to have helped a couple of them to grow through a bit less yellow and they're all a lot less brittle. I've accepted my nails are always going to be awful so I follow this little routine and for 2 months in the summer I sack it and have shellac nails polish applied to cover it over. Probably not ideal but having spent 6 years in closed shoes all summer I decided enough was enough and my toes needed an airing - but without me grimacing at the sight of them!

• Posted

I so much identify with this. I'll try the Vick rub. Its a nightmare, especially in this lovely weather having to cover up the unsightly mess.

• Posted

suggest explore above "I live in the tropics where "tropical ear" a fungus is common.

The common topical medicine to treat is aqua ear - glacial acetic acid and isopropyl alcohol.mix.

Same medicine works for all sorts of foot fungus we get in the tropics.I live in the tropics where "tropical ear" a fungus is common.

Same medicine works for all sorts of foot fungus we get in the tropics. " and report back in 30 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.