furosemide for hypertension

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dear Forum,

In 2012 my then GP prescribed me Amlodipine 5 mg for my high blood pressure, which reduced my systolic blood pressure to around 140 Hgmm.

In 2013 I was taken to hospital with spinal injuries, and presumably because doctors there had found that Amlodipine did not work well for me, they added Furosemide.40 mg to my high blood pressure regimen. It resulted in my blood pressure's dropping to 120-130 Hgmm. I felt really great.

In 2016 I changed my residence, and a GP at another health centre arbitraryly, and without warning me that his taking me off Furosemide would lead to an increase in my blood pressure, and saying that Furosemide will dry up my kidneys, took me off Furosemide and increased my Amlodipine dosage to 10 mg. My blood pressure went up. I blame myself for not resisting him aalthough I was not sure if I could insist on keeping the status quo. Another GP at the same medical centre, to whom last December I complained that because of my not being on Furosemide, I was now suffering from headaches, ignored my request for Furosemide.

On 08.08.2018 I saw yet another GP, who despite the fact that on the first reading my systolic blood pressure was 159 Hgmm, and on the second it went down to only 149 Hgmm, and that he could see for himself how badly high blood pressure affected my balance too, did not restore me to Furosemide.

I think that increase in my high blood pressure is caused by water retention. I have difficulties passing water. This explains why Furosemide had worked for me, and Amlopidine, even in a higher dose, does not.

I need an advice on what to do. I want to avoid any confrontation with doctors at my health centre, but on the other hand, just because I am too polite, I do not relish a prospect of having a stroke,

Yours faithfully,

jozsef81284

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Furosemide is a diuretic, that helps you pass water.  I think that's one of the stronger ones, and maybe it's not good to be on for a long time.  But there are a dozen others that can be taken individually and in combination and are certainly used for long periods.  Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) is common, but it is not potassium-sparing so may be combined with others, etc.  I also found that a small dose of HCTZ was they key to BP control.

In the US these drugs are often prescribed in combination, in the UK not so much.

• Posted

Thank you jx41870 for your reply. I shall  consider HCTZ.

• Posted

Just ask them to explain their decisions to you. I had to stop furusomide because it stopped me passing water and I was going dehydrated so he was right that it can be bad for the kidneys. I now only take Inapamide and it keeps my BP around 130/80and I feel fine. But ask!
    • Posted

sylvia23434...Idapamide is known to be a very good diuretic. It is contained in the bp medication known as Coversyl Plus HD. Furosimide is a very strong diuretic, & I'm sure the doctor was quite correct in taking jozsef81284 off that medication. Being on a strong ciuretic for a long period of time most definitely can do damage to the kidneys.

• Posted

Thank you sylvia23434 for your  reply. I  shall consider taking Inapamide.  
  • Posted

jozef81284...The Furosemide is a very strong diuretic., so very likely the Dr. did you a favour by taking you off.

Do you want kidney damage???? I think not! As for the Amlodipine being increased to 10mg..that may help lower your bp., but it won't act as a diuretic, because it doesn't have diuretic properties. 

I'd be inclined just to go back to the Dr. at the Health centre & have a chat with him, expressing your concerns that you feel you are retaining water. A common side effect of Amlodipine is swolen feet/ankles. The higher the dosage, the more likely the side effect. No need for confrontation; just have an adult conversation.

• Posted

Thank you for our reply mike92384. High blood pressure also  damages kidneys.
  • Posted

Yes it's true...high bp can affect the kidneys. A systolic reading of 140 is hardly a worry these days.

The Dr. took away the Furosemide...which is a powerful diuretic...then upped your Amlodipine to 10mgs...I'm rather surprised the Dr. didn't prescribe HCTZ along with the Amlodipine. 

As I may have mentioned in a previous post., a common side effect of the Amlodipine is swollen feet/ankles, & of course the higher the dosage, the higher the risk of side effects. I was 'ok' on 5mg Amlodipine a few years back but when my then-Dr. upped the dosage to 10mg...my feet/ankles & lower legs ballooned, which meant I had to come off. 

Keep in mind; Amlodipine does not act as a diuretic...because it is not a diuretic. 

Truly, a good sit-down conversation with a Dr. is in order.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.