Further appointment letter after colonoscopy before test results received

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi!

I had colonoscopy done a month ago and I am still waiting for the test results for several biopsies that were taken. Nothing was found during the procedure and colon was said to look healthy. 

Yesterday I received a letter for a further appointment with the consultant end of next month despite still waiting for the biopsy results. I am really really worried now and wonder if this appointment is a routine follow up or something has been found. Any advice or similar experiences?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It's a follow up appointment don't worry .

If anything serious you would have known within days

• Posted

If they said everything looked fine and healthy, I would imagine it’s just a follow up appointment. If it was anything serious I’m sure they would have got your follow up appointment a lot earlier than the end of next month. Try not to worry. 
  • Posted

I'm sure it's just a routine follow up.  If anything had been found you would have heard and been called back immediately.  Something similar happened to me after a routine test.  I was called to see and oncologist and it scared the life out of me.  All he wanted to tell me was that nothing had been found but they wanted to continue annual monitoring.  When I said - why not tell me on the phone instead of scaring me - I was told he wanted to see me face to face to answer questions.  So please don't worry, and enjoy Christmas.

• Posted

Are you in UK? And was it private or NHS? (If in UK) ?

If Private there is nothing in it. The insurer often pays for s consultation afterwards and they show you anything of interest, often give you dietary advice and a time for the repeat one between 2 and 10 years. If NHS, Just depends on the procedure the hospital has.  It means nothing in terms of whether there is a problem or not. If there is something urgently wrong they usually ring, email or get you in faster. If it's nothing or nothing serious they still need to explaon things to you and if you had a colonoscopy because of symptoms they may want to chat through other possible causes or procedures. So don't worry just because of this. It is entirely neutral. David.

• Posted

Hi, 

I go for mine on the 28th of this month. I'm quite anxious about it. How was the procedure? I'm more anxious about taking the citrafleet.. 

I bet they found nothing wrong otherwise they'd have contacted u. 

• Posted

It's easier if you have it ice cold use a straw that way you don't taste it .

Plenty of vasiline to stop your bottom sore soft none perfumed wipes . Stay close to the toilet ..

Good luck have a Happy Christmas x

• Posted

U too carol. Keep me updated on your results. Happy healthy Christmas and new year to u 
    • Posted

Just don't worry. It is very simple procedure.

I opted for no sedation at all.

I watched all, did not not felt much pain. It was more like little cramps then pain.

Choice is yours.

• Posted

The procedure was fine. I also felt very anxious about it beforehand but the staff at the hospital were very helpful and everything was explained well so that made me a bit more relaxed. I opted to be sedated and it was definitely the right thing for me. I have had an endoscopy in the past without sedation and will never ever have any tubes/cameras inside me without sedation again.

Taking the laxative wasn't too bad apart from that it tasted disgusting. I didn't have to run to the loo constantly like I thought.It gave an urge to go but still got time to head to the toilet. It definitively felt like colons had had a good cleanse after finishing the laxatives.

Good luck for your operation and also Merry Christmas!

• Posted

Ask your GP. The results are sent to GPs.

If it requires immediate attention your GP would have written you.

That is At least in theory.

You must take initiative to contact your GP and ask for results.

• Posted

Thank you everybody for your replies and reassurance,very much appreciated!smile

I did try to enquire about the letter straightaway after receiving it,but obviously they're really busy and my calls kept going straight to voicemail.

I did think that surely they wouldn't leave it for very long if something sinister had been found. I will try not to worry now too much.

• Posted

Don't worry it's a follow up appointment it's normal to have one just to tell you face to face that everything is fine

Merry Christmas x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.