Fusing - why?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone in the world know why or what causes fusing? I feel like this is my biggest concern and stump on this disease right now!! Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Back in the nineteenth century when they gave LS its name, they called it Lichen Sclerous Atrophicus. The loss of arcitecture – flattening out of the labia and burial of the clitoris, tightening and hardening of the vaginal introitus – these are the atrophicus part. It's as much a mystery as the cause of degeneration of joints in rhematoid arthritis. My mother's nec's crumbling vertebrae have allowed her skull to settle so that a finger-like bone pokes into her brain.

That said, a bunch of us have noticed that when we're flared up, the raw skin has a stickiness that makes it vulnerable to adhesions. This is the time for thick vaseline. I've found that my perineum wants to fold in a lengthwise 'pleat' and narrow my vaginal opening. So every few months I'm not sorry to see a pink tear open in the white plaque. The drugs keep the white layer thin, so a tear is no longer like one of those painful bleedng cracks you get in 'winter heels'. It settles down in a day or so.

Some pre-menopausal LS sufferes if vigilant may be able to use oil and stretching to prevent labial adhesions closing in the clitoris. It gets pretty relentless after menopause.

• Posted

My doctor at one time compared the behavior of LS with a form of cancerous growth, "though it isn't cancer, it behaves like one", he said.  Now, if we could control or deminish this growth we would have an answer to LS.  Till now we have only partial answers. 

We know that avoiding certain foods calms the process and LS will become become less viscious.  Consume a load of sugars and you can be sure that you will generate a flare up.  

In the 1920's there was a doctor with a German name, who had the thought that when we keep a good pH balance in our system a lot of cancerous growth could be prevented.  For whatever reason his thought was forgotten.  The medical world did not react to it.  (You'll find further thoughts on this only in the world of nature paths.)  

When I started to accidently see positive results while using baking soda rinses, my doctors had both the same answer:  alkalinity versus assidity.  It made sense to me.  So I started to watch my food intake even more and on advise used test strips to see how I was doing.  

If we on this site had the complete answer, I'm sure we would be quick to tell you,  illiminating further suffering for so many.  But we don't as yet.  All we can do for now is - deligent maintenance.  

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Thank you very much ladies. You are all so well educated on this. I fear that I am 33 and premenopausal that I am in major trouble when I start menopause. I have fusing already and fear the future. sad
    • Posted

I had lost some 'architecture' in my thirties. But I still had remission and plenty of great sex all through my forties and again in my late fifties. Menopause can suck in many ways. LS is only one of them. But all told I'm very content at 64 and I wouldn't change anything about the last 15 years. We can't see the future. Don't put it on your plate – it's already full with the present!
  • Posted

As a result of severe flare ups that may continue for a period of time, if the skin irritation is not treated and gotten under control, the skin begins to soften in that area and over time causes fusing (skin begins to grow together and thicken) in the clitoris area,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.