Fusion of big toe joint

Posted , 4 users are following.

Have bunions and pain under ball of the foot. Surgeon thinks that normal bunion surgery will not be satisfactory and that I need fusion of big toe joints.  to restore good mechanics and provide stability to arch of the foot.

I am finding it hard to understand how well I will be able to do things like squatting and kneeling if big toe does not bend. I will only be able to wear shoes with max 5cm heels- this I have no problem with, nor do I mind if can’t go up on tiptoe but I still want to garden, do my housework and roll around the floor with young grandchildren.

Could anyone who has had successful first toe fusion share with me how it impacts on everyday life, please.

I don’t want horror stories - there are plenty of these on the web! I am confident that the actual result would be ok as am being treated by a top London surgeon but I am not quite getting a feel from him as to how much the fusion will change ordinary activities. So I thought nothing like asking someone who has had it done!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had bone fusion surgery of the first 3 tarsometatarsals in January this year. My big toe can still bend, albeit stiffly. Can’t say I’ve noticed a difference in my ability to kneel or squat as I can’t really do those very well anyway due to other issues.  Has the surgeon told you it’ll have an impact? 
  • Posted

I have had big toe fusion surgery.  Any fusion surgery of the foot/toes takes time to heal.  Pain and numbness will be around for several months (varying degrees).  At first, when I was able to do weight bearing, I couldn't stand on my toes as it was uncomfortable and I was nervous.  I found a good foot physiotherapist who helped immensely with exercises and reassurances.  It will come good - you just learn to do things differently.  I can now stand on my toes, but when I first had my surgeries, it was a couple of months before I could and if I was on the floor, found different ways to get up.  My last lot of surgery was in November last year.  I wore high heels for the first time about two weeks back for a function, I coped ok but your foot tells you when you have had enough.  I wear flat shoes (runners) most of the time for comfort as well as my foot is still swollen and runners allows you to loosen the shoe. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.