Fusion of large toe joint

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am scheduled to have a bunion operation in three weeks time but have been told that the best option will be to fuse the joint. I am concerned that I get rid of one problem only to have another one. Has anyone experience of results?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

mine was not fused.But i wouldn't do it again been 4 years and its coming back. i still wear a toe spacer.

• Posted

Hi

I had my toe fused 5 weeks ago. my bunion had dislocated my other toes. apparently it was so bad the big to was no longer functioning. The foot looks a hundred percent better, however I'm still using the boot to get about.

Last year I had a lot of surgery on my other foot. instep fusion, realigned toes. he trimmed the bunion and pinned the joint higher up but didn't fuse the joint. My big toe on that foot has drifted across again. There isn't as much pain, I can drive now and I couldn't before, because of pain. Depending on this operation I might ask for this toe to be fixed if it can be done.

That means I'll have to go through all the boredom, isolation and inconvenience again. I think I should have had it done the first time.

• Posted

I had my right foot corrected without fusing the big toe joint in March 2016, and although I am now completely pain free and it looks very much better, there has been some drifting after 3+ years - but fortunately not so much as to be a problem requiring further surgical intervention. However, my left big toe was fused in January 2018, and that operation has been completely successful, with no drifting and no pain. So I would agree with Kim. If the work that needs to be done on your foot is extensive because the bunion is severe or you have additional problems (hammer toes etc) then most likely fusion is the best option.

• Posted

Thankyou for feedback. ITS reassuring that the fusion of your left toe was successful. Did it effect your walking or put strain on otherjoints?

• Posted

No, not at all. it's marvellous to be able to walk long distances again. I would say that I recovered more quickly from the fusion op than the non-fusion one, and (like Kim) wish I had had the right toe fused too! The only caveat I would mention is that if you want to be able to wear heels, even low ones, after fusion, you need to tell your surgeon in advance so he can make allowance for this. Otherwise you will only be able to wear flatties as otherwise your toe will be fixed in such a position that wearing heels then would cause strain. I like to wear 1-2 inch heels sometimes, so was really pleased my doctor warned me about this.

• Posted

thank you so much Amanda

I WAS HAVING SERIOUS DOUBTS ABOUT GOING AHEAD BUT YOU HAVE SET ME THINKING AGAIN.

I HAVE MORE DISCOMFORT THAN PAIN AND CAN DO THINGS TO KEEP COMFORTABLE BUT HAVE DIFFICULTY FINDING SHOES TO FIT SO REALISTICALLY I COULD CARRY ON WITHOUT THE SURGERY

I HAVE A MEETING WITH SURGEON IN A WEEKS TIME TO DECIDE HENCE THE REASON I AM KEEN TO HEAR FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN THROUGH IT

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS

• Posted

I was told not to have my bunions done until I couldn't walk, because if it went wrong I wouldn't be able to walk. this was by an incompetent looser. I now know he said that because he didn't have the skills to do it. Fortunately because of NHS funding my care was transformed to someone who had the skills. However the surgery can be quite difficult and the results not always good. so if I was in discomfort I'd be thinking long and hard about comfy shoes rather than surgery.

Kim.**

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.