Fusion of Talonavicular on 05/11/19 anyone else on this journey?

Posted , 6 users are following.

After 15 years of ankle pain I have finally chosen to go done the fusion route. I am having the operation in Derriford Hospital Plymouth UK. It would be great to chat with others who are pre or post op for advice and recovery comparison.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

expect a long slow recovery. I am 18 months post OP and the pain and swelling are gone most of the time.

You have suffered 15 years in chronic pain. This will be slow but so worth it.

keep in touch with this forum. I used it a lot in my post OP recovery

• Posted

everyone recovers differently

I broke my ankle in 3 places 7/5, had surgery 7/11, screws etc 3 WEEKS immobilized

Then onto walking boot with 25% weight bearing with crutches

2 weeks ago my doctor took xrays said all was healed and I could start walking with boot or bare foot

BOOT is a pain!

STARTED PT last week

UP until I began walking full weight i experienced little to no pain but now have pain. GO figure!!!

• Posted

I had my right ankle fused on 31 s t May and finally started weight bearing this Saturday. It has been a long slow journey which has been so frustrating. Prior to my op I read a really good blog about a man on his ankle replacement journey and I found so much useful advice.

I am 66 years old , so went to the gym to build up my upper body strength and practised pulling myself upstairs using my arms. I found crutches difficult as my left ankle also needs fusing so I bought a kneel on scooter from Amazon. It gave me mobility around the house. This all really benefitted my recovery.

After many years of constant pain I am now pain free. Hopefully will have left ankle done early next year.

Good Luck with your op.

• Posted

I had my right ankle done in 2017 and it is now perfect, really. In fact it was pretty good after about nine months but I was very obedient and kept it non weightbearing for about three months and all was well. It has good flexibility now and no pain and only a tiny bit of swelling. All the metalwork is still in place but I can feel nothing.

However the other ankle...... has been a different matter. I was just as obedient but things were never so good. I think it was due to the very hot weather in 2018 when I was allowed to walk about in a plaster. But this made the foot very hot and I got athletes foot which allowed some infection to get into the metal work which then blew up (osteomylitis) three months ago resulting in two emergency operations to get the screws and staple out. A nightmare. It is just about okay now but there is still swelling and some tingling . I am hoping that it will one day soon be as good as the other side. My surgeon is very good but he didn't understand about athletes foot and heat and all that - no good at lateral thinking, these guys - one trick ponies, or hedgehogs .

However, given that your surgeon is good with his tools and that you can be content to lie on your back for a good few weeks (with people waiting on you hand and foot etc) there is no reason why you shouldn't have two pain free ankles and stride about as good as gold! I may say I am 79 but still think it was worth doing.

• Posted

hi, my son went down that route, i really hope it works for you. he has ended up having an ankle replacement but is still in severe pain. do you drive.? it is his left ankle so driving is difficult for him. he is putting so much pressure on his right ankle now it is affecting him here too.

my best advice for after your op is rest, rest rest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.