fusion operation

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi guy iv been suffering this condition for years but until recently i was not aware of it just thought i had sever constant neck / arm pain and now I'm very worried about a operation i have too have its called a frontal cervical fusion does any one please know what this entails i.e some one who has had it done please has I'm crapping myself the closer it gets thank you from a wimp lol :oops: :cry:

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi john

i,ve recently had the cervical discectomy with fusion, after suffering with prolapsed discs for 2 yrs, i can say that it all went well i am now more or less out of pain (only take the occational paracetamol) but have suffered some nerve damage which i have to take an amatryptline every night to help with that but that pain is more of an ache, and i can live and work with that. im off all restrictions now apart from repetative movements, and im 9 wks post-op today. im hoping to return to work in 2 wks. the op it self sounds a hell of a lot worse than it is, they go through the front of your neck just to the right of your voice box, and do the procedure that way, i was on bed rest (flat or 30 degrees tilt) for every other hour up to 2 wks, then slowley started to do more, my voice was a concern at the start but glad to say its back , by 6 wks i was driving and doing most things , but as the physio said i had to listen to my body if it hurt then stop. would i do it again yes no doubt about it (may have to in the future as i have another prolapse at c6-7). hope this gives you some insight into the op and if you want to know any more feel free to ask. gail

• Posted

[quote:091befe6f3=\"gail\"]hi john

i,ve recently had the cervical discectomy with fusion, after suffering with prolapsed discs for 2 yrs, i can say that it all went well i am now more or less out of pain (only take the occational paracetamol) but have suffered some nerve damage which i have to take an amatryptline every night to help with that but that pain is more of an ache, and i can live and work with that. im off all restrictions now apart from repetative movements, and im 9 wks post-op today. im hoping to return to work in 2 wks. the op it self sounds a hell of a lot worse than it is, they go through the front of your neck just to the right of your voice box, and do the procedure that way, i was on bed rest (flat or 30 degrees tilt) for every other hour up to 2 wks, then slowley started to do more, my voice was a concern at the start but glad to say its back , by 6 wks i was driving and doing most things , but as the physio said i had to listen to my body if it hurt then stop. would i do it again yes no doubt about it (may have to in the future as i have another prolapse at c6-7). hope this gives you some insight into the op and if you want to know any more feel free to ask. gail[/quote:091befe6f3]

thank you Gail i think i was more worried about waking up after operation pain choking ect when neurosurgeon explained it it was only a very ruff outline of what was happening he did not explain the recovery at all if you don't mind how long did you wait for your operation its been 3 moths so far for me cheers yours john

• Posted

hi john

i have to be honest i was scared of the coming around as i usually suffer with bad vomiting, so spoke to the anethetist about it the day before and she said she,d make sure i got extra fluid when asleep and give me some morphine before i wake up, she was right i woke with no sickness ok bit drowzy but no pain. i was concerned about the chocking/gagging when coming around and yes it is a weird sensation, and at one point started to cry cos the nurses had forgot to give me a buzzer, and i couldnt get their attention, but the surgeon was called to reassure me that i wouldnt choke that the airway is clear and with the steroids they give you it helps with the swelling, i had morphine every 4 hrs and my usual pain meds so i was quite comfortable, its not as bad as you think it would be honestly!i had bad experiences with the hospitals as i was using two health trusts so my op didnt happen til 26 mths after prolapsing my discs, but im sure now you,ve spoken to your surgeon it wont take that long now, he should have told you the approx time you would have to wait, if not phone his secretary to ask her/him. best of luck gail

• Posted

Hi, I'm currently waiting for this procedure on three disc's with fusion and steel plate screwed to four vertabrae. I've been told if all goes according to plan, home after two days. Is that your experience?
  • Posted

hi tony

WOW 2 days!!! what is it with the english hospitals they discharge way to early(my opinion) i was in 7 days, i was on i.v drip for 3 ( i think) i didnt have the drain removed til the sun 3 days post-op, i really think you need more than 2-3 days , but of course everyone recovers at different rates, i thought i was doing really well with recovery, but still took approx 3 weeks (read my previous posts on disc prolapse) before the tiredness and ability to do for my self, but saying all that im sure if the doctors feel that you need to stay in extra days then they,ll advise it.also after a cervical surgery you would normally be in the i.c.u for the first 24hrs, so dont be alarmed if its mentioned its purely routine. hope this helps a little,and yes i would have it done again cos the post-op pain is nothing in comparison to the disc pain. gail

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.