Fusion Pain - when does it end?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there...Lisa here again. I am 5-6 weeks out now and I am finding myself crying during the night worrying about the pain I am experiencing. I am staying with my parents and I am not dure I can do many of thr things my mom does for me. My foot is often on fire and in general, I feel much worse than I did before surgery. I don't have a pair of shoes that will fit my left foot and I can walk very short distances without feeling too weak (in the leg and foot area) to continue. My surgeon told me I should be ready to work in 3 months (teacher) and I can't imagine doing what it takes to move desks set up technical equipment often on my knees, etc. I am scared and each day I hope it's better, but so far not. I see him in January (the two hour car ride there is just too much. So, my question is: will I ever feel normal again?

Thanks everyonemfor your encouragement and support.

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa  You're still in the early stages of recovery and at least for me the key was slow and easy. I know it's hard to believe but it does get better. In the early weeks, I used a walker and just walked around inside my home very slowly. Also, I found walking in a swimming pool didn't hurt at all and helped to strengthen my legs. I am 6-months post op and am 90% fused and getting stronger each day. To answer your question; time is your best friend now and it does get better.
  • Posted

Lisa,

That is what I had, it is your nerves, what happened to me was physical therapy blew out my disc in the pool, had to have emergency surgery, I told my Dr about the excursiating pain in my leg and foot like it was on fire. After many ct scans and the Dr telling me there was nothing wrong with me a had a surgery one year to the date for the fusion, my new Dr told me that my nerves were damaged from the explosion of the disc and cut into my nerves, so he was gonna try and do a ganglionectomy clean out the nerves to try and reconnect them, it didn't work lost all feeling in my left leg and foot but that burning sensation was gone. And to this day I am living in pain from that 1st Dr mistake.

I know how you feel the crying and no relief, I wish u a speedy recovery and talk to your doctor immediately.

Good luck

Cindy

• Posted

Oh, CIndy, that sounds horrible. I feel terrible for you. Are you able to walk? Doctors can do so many good things, but have a hard time admitting when they screw up You take care, as well.

Lisa

• Posted

Lisa,

Yes I can but of course it's hard I have to concentrate on when to pick up the leg, I have fallen down on rugs and floors cause my foot hits the wrong way. I wish they would find something to take away all forms of back leg and every other kind of pain.

Take care, and I still cry in pain. I just make sure noone sees me doing it.

Take care and best of luck to you too!!

Cindy

• Posted

Hi Lisa:

I am very sorry that you have to go through so much pain.  I don't know how something like this could happen unless something went wrong with the surgery.  I had a fusion C3-C4 several years ago.  I remember that trying to heak was very hard for me.  It was so hard to wear the neck brace, had to use a walker and continual pain for several months.  Afterwards, the pain lessened and over the next few years, once again I starte to feel pain in my neck, shoulders and back.  I now have chronic pain always at a high level.  I really don't know what a good day is.  You on the otherhand seem to have pain and burning in your legs.  It must be due to peripheral neuropathy like I have.  I would imagine you have seen a neurologist and had studies done, possibly to a rheumetologist and certainly a pain doctor.  I have been that route and to tell you the truth, doctors I have be a patient with, either gave me the wrong diagnosis or always, "oh you need another fusion".  That's a neurosurgeons way of making lots more money.  Sorry I had to say this and meaning that it is not all doctors that give you wrong information.  I had some good doctors and thruthfully, bad as well.  You have to be your own advocate and take matters into your own hands.  Always seek out 2nd and 3rd opinions, read patient reviews of doctors and hospitals, search out further information about the problem you have but don't diagnose yourself.  At least you can pose questions to the doctor of all whys and hows and believe me, the doctors have more respect for you.  I never take a doctors word anymore.  I have been round and round of that.  So, Lisa, this is my input and I hope you will be in less pain and be well.  Have a good holiday.  wink

Mel 

• Posted

Hi Lisa! Im eight weeks post op!! I had five weeks of home Therphy both op and ps(l two three four and five done)I do my exercises daily and walk every day call me/text me at 203500 I can help you with exercises...I'm a physical therapist,ironic isn't it!!! I exercise even if it hurts...you have to push through the pain 
    • Posted

Bru,

I am so glad you could do it I wasn't able too,

I was a complete failure back in 99, I tried everything and the pt made it worse couldn't even drive myself home after that, good luck!!

• Posted

Hi Cynthia:don't be so hard on yourself just do not quit!! I don't want to get to personal,I give Therphy to people who are having trouble walking because of a injury,or because of pain,when you stop walking you'll end up sitting to much and that leads to atrophy of your mussels!!if you want me to i will give my you my email address.....there are some things I can show you so you can get or at least make it easier for you. I'd like to send pics that show how to do some exercise's that will make things easier !now for the personal questions 

what is your age?How is health (other than the back) 

take care 

Bruce

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.