Fusion Surgery.

Posted , 13 users are following.

I simply do not understand why so many of you are looking forward to having this surgery. It's fraught with problems and limited outcome. It can lead to many more disabilities than the original condition holds. I have constant, chronic pain; never a day passes that I don't wake in agony. And it gets worse. My mobility is decreasing. For every time I push myself beyond my personal pain-barrier, I suffer monumental pain for the following two weeks at least. But, the one thing I'm glad of is that I decided NOT to go ahead with the fusion surgery.  Having read the latest studies of this surgery, I see that it really ISN'T worth the risk of ending up in a wheelchair.  My GP agrees.

I take my analgaesics and beg for a day that is of minimal pain. There are few of those.  BUT surgery is NEVER going to be an option. Not for me.

Good luck to those who've decided to go ahead with surgery......

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi aggi. Have you been offered an electronic implant (SCS)? I had spinal nerve (L5) decompression surgery which was unsuccessful. I was offered more sugery (high risk) which I refused. I am now waiting for an scs now.
  • Posted

Hi Maggi.

I had TLIF spinal surgery 5 years this Aug. It wasn't a decision taken lightly. I'd suffered chronic back pain for over 20 years. Finally in 2009 they decided to do tests and discovered I had Generative Disc Disease. 2 of my discs had disintegrated and my cronic pain was coming from bone on bone contact. I could barely walk, just tiny baby steps. I couldn't go anywhere or do anything and at 39 years of age, that was not how I wanted to live my life.

As with any major surgery, there were risks, but I just had to do it. I didn't want to be in a wheelchair, which was where I was heading.

Almost 5 years on, although my back is not perfect, I still suffer daily pain and am still limited with what I can do, I am happy I went ahead with surgery.

I am now 44 and although life is slow, it's a great life. I will never have a great back, but fusion surgery has certainly helped.

If anybody ia thinking of having this type or any type of surgery, remember, it is your decision and yours alone.

Of course there are risks. Life is one big risk.

Good luck.

Jo x

• Posted

Hi, I agree that is is not a decision to be taken lightly but technology has come on and fusions are becoming increasingly more popular and have a much higher success rate than years ago. I was In chronic pain day and night, barely sleeping at night from nerve pain in leg, foot, hip and back. I had severe weakness in the right leg and foot from nerve compression and with 3 boys and only 41 years of age and having been an extremely active person all my life, exercising 5 times a week since I was 18 I just wanted to try to get some normality In my life. I had spinal fusion 3 level 8 1/2 weeks ago and already feel massive benefits from it. Yes mobility is still restricted at the moment as fusion is still taking place but my pain levels have Massively reduced and I am a,Ewing through yhe night most nights which is something I haven't done in well over 2 years. I tried every form of non evasive surgery; physio, accupuncture, steriod epidural injection in various discs and facet joints and all different cocktails of pain meds before reaching the decision to go for spinal fusing. Even had the pressure tests discogram to ensure that was what was causing the pain and getting a second opinion before deciding to go ahead. I feel the surgery was a success and my surgeon sees that within one year I will be ablessed to do all the things I couldn't do before surgery. I am already doing quite intense physio to get core and back strength back and cycling and walking one mile each day and will be slowly progressing it with the hope to return to spinning within 3 months from now. I think it works for some but not others and my surgeon felt I would definitely fall within the 80% success rate before surgery and i believe that be will be correct. I feel better just 8 weeks post than I have done in years. Good luck to anyone awaiting fusion.
    • Posted

Hello, I am so pleased for you. I pray you will Continue to heal from strength to strength and will be completely pain free to enjoy your children and life in general. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Maggi

im so very sorry you wake everyday in agony, i coud relate to that for i had stabbing pains that jolted my body during the night that made me scream and occasional vomit.  I was so scared. I had 2 discs that had disintegrated and was bone rubbing bone. I had massive inflammation at l4/5 and othe level neurosurgeon described it like a beacon. 

My spine had instability so every movement hurt and if i stubbed my toe it would vibrate up my spine and hurt so bad. I am 41. I have a 12 year old son and i spent so much time. In bed and even with my strong will i was breaking down with no quality of life. I hit an all time low. I had a spinal fusion with bone graft and cages with screws and signing the paperwork for all the risks was upsetting and kissing my husband and arents before i went into theatre was heartbreaking but for me i had no other option i wanted some quality of life whereas before i had none even with all the tramadol, gabapentin, diazapam and brufen.

after waking from surgery it was a relief to see my loved ones and i walked the next day. 4 weeks in very early days i know but i have had no stabbing pains. 

Everyone is different and we are all individual. Me for one was so gad i made the decision and god bless to all that do and don't i know chronic pain is disabling and so unfair 

• Posted

Hello

I'm so happy to hear that you are doing well. We are all different as you Say. Healing is different for each of us. I pray Maggie7 will get relief one day also. Blessings to you both.

• Posted

Hi trini

thank you so much. I feel blessed that these shocking stabbing pains are gone. I am walking each day that little bit further. No bending, twisting, lifting for me. I am advised not to drive for 6 weeks. I lie dwn as much as possible as sitting can put pressure on the lumbar lower of the spine where i had my problems. I pray maggi will get relief to. Your a very kind person 

• Posted

Hi Laura

We all take our health for granted. Although I always suffered with sciatica, this bout took me by complete surprise. It all happened so quickly and next thing you know I was in theatre having a microdiscectomy. I still have some residual Nerve pain 12 days poat surgery, but I don't regret the decision. Taking it one day at a time. We must keep a positive attitude even through our pain. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hi again,

its wonderful that we can share each others life experiences with these debilitating conditions. I think just talking to one another helps as you don't feel alone or its just you going through it.

yes do take it one day at a time. I really do know what you have been through i had a micro discectomy 10 months ago it was my first back operation and it took the awful sciatic nerve pain away. 

Your body tells you what you can and can't do and i think listen to your body and take things slowly.

i felt guilty being off work and went back to my sedentary job December 2014 and i was struck with the stabbing pains. The surgeon said 3 months ths time and i start my physio on 14 April 

• Posted

Good luck Laura. It is wonderful to share our fears as well as our Little milestones. Good luck with your physio. I expect i will also start mine soon. Having my stitches removed tomorrow. Do keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. Blessings.😊
    • Posted

I really don't take health for granted. I used to, when I was young, but those days are long gone! I could never have foreseen the pain and disability that I now endure. But, still, I will NOT undergo fusion surgery. I've seen too many very bad outcomes. I've seen people be reduced to less mobility post-fusion than they'd had pre-fusion to want to take the risk myself.

Yes, I have many limitations; I struggle to do many ordinary things and become frustrated with my body's restrictions. Better this, I think, than to go under general anaesthetic for hours - which, for me, carries risks in itself - to face a very long recovery period with the very real possibility of ending up with even less mobility than I have now.

My wheelchair  - stashed away in the garden shed - will be needed sooner rather than later. This, I know. In the meantime, I do what I can. I've accepted that my dreams of an active life in my Autumn years is not going to be realised. The trips I hoped to make won't happen. I wake every day in pain. So I try to concentrate on those things that require no physical effort.  To the best of my ability and to the extent of my faith. Though, last two years, my faith has been sorely tested. Since my son died, faith has been something worn very thin.

I really wish the very best to all who undergo surgery. My thoughts are with you.

• Posted

Realize this is an old thread, do feel another positive post would be helpful.  I'm just 6 months post level 8 fusion surgery.  I'm back on my mountain bike; motorcycle; cautiously lifiting; walking aprox a mile a day; sex is great.  I'm 69.  This was my process:

​1. Found the right surgeon.  Chose a dr who had worked on a friend and who works on dwarves.  Very difficult.  (I'm in So. California).  Met him and got a solid feeling.  Semi-subjective.  But he LIKES what he does, 

​2. Scheduled to begin just before thanksgiving holidays so I could partially revover throuigh Xmas and New Years. 

​3. Tossed out pain-killers (opiates) and did four Tylenol a day. 

​4. Stayed as active as possible -- walking... anything. 

​5. Put pain "somewhere else".  You can't lie in bed wallowing in self pity.  Pain is an illusion created by the brain to get your attention.  I think you have to challenge that pain; don't disregard it, but do not let it control you. (Learned that from dual knee replacement and being shot). The more you use the area of your scar tissue the faster it heals. 

​6.  Work.  I'm a writer so that was easy.  But get your mind outside the "poor me" of it all. 

​I'm leaving in a week for Istanbul and generally tripping around.  I've regained the two inches of height I had lost to scoliosis.  Maggi7, all I can say is, I feel great.  Get a second opinion. 

• Posted

I love your positivity!  I hope you have a wonderful trip.  

My surgeon says my spine is inoperable.  I know some people have said that's just as well. I've just had my right hip replaced to see if that helps

i too cut out the opiates. The best thing for me is cortisone injections  by epidural every four months. 

Im optimistic that medicine advances, and someday they will be able to do something for my spine. 

• Posted

You never know, "some day" may be now.  Get at least a second opinion.  Just back from Turkey, hiked all over hell.  These operations usually do work. 
  • Posted

Yes, there are many problems that can occur, but in many instances, not having surgery can be a disaster.    If you have cervical neck problems associated with your spinal cord being impinged,  the most drastic scenario is becoming a quadrapelegic , and up on a ventilator.    I hope you are seeking the advice of a Neurologist or Neurosurgeon also.   I ended up having my surgery as I was having significant trouble walking and losing control of blaster function,  scary stuff?

!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.