Fusion surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Was at the surgeon's today and he recommend doing Fusion surgery   I questioned him and he said other than I won't be able to run it's the best choice.  He said I had a lot of arthritis in my feet.   He did say I could have the regular surgery if I wanted it was up to me but with the regular the bunion can come back.    I did have the other foot done many years ago  with the shaving and it's only moved a bit and still doesn't hurt.  I know people who have had fusion  1  many years ago so procedures could have changed  and 1 more resent and both wish they didn't.  Has anyone had the fusion  and believe it was the right thing?   I don't know what to do trust the surgeon knows what he's doing  or go with what worked before   I am older now (66).   But  the pain is bad now so I have to do something.   Tks  for you opinion. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've had the big toe fused. I'm nearly 6 weeks post op will be weight bearing soon. The big toe is very stiff and won't be able to bend again that's one bad thing I didn't like about the surgery which I wasn't really told about properly. I'm only 23 and went with my surgeons option. I should be full weight bearing soon, I have a check up appointment tomorrow and hopefully should have an X-ray then to see if I can transition from the surgery shoe to a normal shoe. The foot is quite swollen...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.