Fusion surgery L4-L5

Posted , 7 users are following.

Extremely depressed. Had fusion 8 months ago and it feels like the surgeon operated on wrong disk, Place. I have pain from my SI joints all down my leggs, front of thigh down to back of legs that include lower back. I have had shots in SI joints. Still in pain . I wake up having to take meds every 4 hours. Taking Oxycodone 0 and oxycotin 20 mg. Have taken so many meds I think I have tried them all. Nurontin, lyrica,amitripaline, etc. Nothing helps. Is anyone in same situation?

Thanks,

Emily333

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hmmmm...sounds a bit like me...

Fused L3 though S1 two years ago.  Surgery was tough as I developed fluid at the base of my spine...they had to go back in and drain that.  Once done, I was fine.  Wore the brace, kicked PT's butt, no real problems at all.

Last year, I had a knee replaced.  Five weeks later, I developed sciatica in one leg.  X-ray...locked SI joints...chiro fix...took a few weeks.  Simple.

Then 8 months into my recovery (October 2016), I developed shooting pain from my lower back through hips and glutes, and down the back of both legs.  One leg is sciatica; two legs simultaneously is stenosis.  Confirmed by MRI.  To ease the pain, I started walking stooped over.  Yes, it helps with the back and leg pain but unfortunately, engages your quads 24 x 7 so what you get is pain the front of your legs that is really due to muscle fatigue.  This was documented by my chiropractor and confirmed by my neurosurgeon.

So you have the back pain, change the way you walk and destroy your quads in the process.  For me, the pinched nerves are in the L2/L3 foraminal canals.  Doc gave me two choices...

1. Zip open the back, remove all the hardware, clean me up a bit and re-fuse me but now L2 through S1, putting a spacer in at L2/L3.  Five days in the hospital, months of rehab.

2. Have a general surgeon open my side, have the neuro get to my spine that way and insert an EXPANDABLE spacer.  Just slip it in and crank it with an allen wrench to force the foramin open so they stop pinching the nerves.  Overnight hospital stay, immediate relief, no rehab, permanent fix.  80% success rate.

I chose Option 2...duh.  March 24th...can't wait. You may want to look into stenosis.  MRI and then confirmed doing a CT/Myelogram.  Check it out...

• Posted

I agree, similar to me as well. That's what I was saying about your muscles compensating for your back being screwed up. My hamstrings and hips are constantly locked up and tighter than rubber band. No matter what I do to stretch they just go back to being tight. My favorite posture is laying over something like a table, something that is hip high, it seems to open up space in my back and just feels good. Post sx they thought my si joints were out of whack,nope after Ct, MRI and X-rays as well as injections it's just all the pulling of my leg muscles.  It's really crazy how your body works. Now that we have figured it out I'm working on ways to try and relax those muscles, get my posture back in realignment and strengthen all those muscles that have been lazy for many years. Hopefully that's all I have to endure, I'm only 44 but l1-l2 are starting to look a bit dodgy not enough to cause problems.

• Posted

Can you get some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US)?  Second best topical anti-inflammatory on the planet.  The absolute best is a green-ish "lotion" made by certain people and available in certain dispensaries in certain states and purchasable by certain people with a certain type of medical card.  Works in minutes...fantastic pain relief.

• Posted

Got it. Doesn't really do much for me unfortunately.  Thankfully I am feeling better the more therapy and pilates I do. As long as I stay away from the twisting and bending I'm ok.  If I do to much I rest and if I'm out of my mind in pain I'll take a pain pill which I'm fortunate to have. I've started taking turmeric capsules 2xs a day for inflammation and do myfascial release/massage as well as regular massage and that helps but adds up $$.

• Posted

Well I can tell how old you r from the 1972.lol I am sorry to not have written a long remark as yours, but every word is exactly how I feel although I need a soft bed. My hips can't even handle that. I know you r correct, My legs are so cramped right now. I am going to try massage. Don't know what else to do. I walk the hallways of my building. I walk a flight of stairs.Then it is back to chair or bed. very sleepy from pills

I am 64 years old, getting older is very hard and painful, sad

• Posted

I cannot gel anything topical. I am lucky that I get Perocet and oxycotin. I do feel slightly better leaning over table as melm1972 has said. I have never been into sports but you guys/gals are an inspiration. My goodness Chico, you sure have been though alot and have a better attitude than myself. it's just relentlis this pain. never ends.

• Posted

Please let me know how you did with your surgery and Thanks for the advise

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.