Fusion vs. Total Ankle Replacement

Posted , 2 users are following.

Currently in the decision making process to get an ankle fusion verse a replacement. I'm a 44 year old female who's quite young for my age, until now anyways. I was a competitive athlete up until about 10 years ago I contracted the flesh eating disease in the form of Streptococcal toxic shock syndrome (long story short) which eventually lead to severe OA. I had a fusion of the subtalar joint about 5 years ago but that sadly didn't solve the pain issue. I am being pushed to go with the fusion as it's "less risk, more longevity, etc. etc.") I don't have a tremendous amount of range anyways at this point but I understand I would have about 10%+ more with a TAR then a fusion. With my prior fusion I was out for approx. 3 months and healed "relatively" well after that with therapy.

Risk verses reward, I am a little freaked out to which decision to make and need some feedback. I'm sure there are many others which have faced the same options.

On another note, if I was to go the route of TAR, my surgeon didn't discuss options on which replacement so I don't know if I have any control over that. I have read many articles on new advancements such as the Cadence system but need additional feedback as well please.

FYI, I am in Western Canada, in case that matters.

Thanks Tina

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

HI Tina. I was in the same boat as you. im 46 and had advanced osteo arthritis minimal cartlidge left and in alot of pain. all resulting from a very bad break sliding into second base 17 years ago. i remained active once it healed and one day just said ok ive had enough.

i did research for about a year and had opinions from 5 dr.s. Most agreed that an ankle replacement would be appropriate with my condition and three of the DR.'s have been doing them on younger patients recently with great resilts. one DR. said fusion was my only choice and the last DR. said he would do it but wouldnt be ideal sistuation due to my age.

I decided to go with a total ankle replacement vs. fusion because i had pretty good motion already and knew i could still have that with a TAR. research has also shown people with ankle fusions are all coming back 15 years later with arthritis in different parts of the ankle.

@Also im young enough that if I needed another replacement in 20 years I'd @still only be in my 60's. or you can get a fusion at that point. but once you get a fusion you can not go back and have a TAR.

3 of the Dr.s used the ZIMMER ankle replacement that goes in through the out side instead of through the front and this implant requires reduction of less bone than the other replacements and he could go in through an exisiting scar.

So I had a TAR june 6th, 2018. im still healing they say up to a year to 18 months before tou get to complete healing and like how it will be. However, im already in less pain then before the surgery which is great. i do have some minor issues like a bone spur and my skin is very tight on the outside ankle bone but like i said its still healing. dont get me wrong it still hurts right now everyday but not a bad hurt...i guess i fusion would take the pain away but i didnt want to be limited in what i could do in the future. best wishes,let me know if you have any questions. oh and while your recovering from whichever you choose keep working out as best you can even if it just arms core of some kind. i didnt and noone told me to and I ended up herniated a disc and pinched a nerve which put a big kink in my ankle recovery.

kimmms

• Posted

thanks so much for your feedback Kimmms. It could be that they are moreso pushing for the fusion as i have such limited mobility. if i do the replacement i would only have 10-15% more movement then a fusion.

i will keep doing my research and if i have any more questions as i work through through this, i may reach out if thats okay.

thanks again, heal well. TINA

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.