Future knee replacement

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello. I'm having TKR in 2 weeks and I'm seeing my surgeon for the first time tomorrow. I have a lot of questions to ask, which he'll probably beat me to it before I ask them. Any advice? Thoughts? How long before I can do a flight of stairs?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You start going up stairs while still in the hospital. The standard time in hospital is two or three days. You begin walking the first day,

• Posted

How many replacements does he do per year? (should be at least 100)

How long has he being doing this operation? Although routine, this operation does require considerable skill and experience. You need to have complete confidence in your surgeon. One of the most experienced said that the surgeon is by far the most important choice you make (over type of prothesis and techniques used).

Has he ever had a TKR become infected?

What prothesis has he chosen and why?

How will pain be controlled after operation? Continued anaesthetic pump and/or morphine pump.

Single room in hospital?

Is he using computer aided techniques? The latest techniques involve scanning your knee and creating plastic knee for surgeon to study your knee before operation. Also jigs can be made to aid surgeon in making accurate cuts in bones. Some surgeons use a technique with microprocessors to judge pressures on inside and outside of knee.

Will he need to cut through muscles?

What is most important to you - flexibility (for those who need to kneel such as in Asia) or stability for sports. I believe these are to some extent mutually exclusive. In the west, most surgeons will try for a reasonable compromise to allow about 110 degrees of ROM and good stability.

Timetable for recovery - walking without crutches, driving, sports

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.