FWB

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello

I finally got the go ahead from doctor to restart physical therapy and be FWB. I am very nervous to start walking again in the boot. Anyone have any tips for me? My surgery was in May and had several set backs but now ready to push forward..

Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lori

Can you explain what we're your setbacks?

I always massage the incision site and do some gentle stretching 3 times a day. Let pain be your guide. Start slow and try to set goals that you are working towards.

• Posted

My setbacks were I had trouble with healing from the actual surgery and several falls that prompted me to remain in the cast until yesterday. I was unable to move my toes until the last cast was put on two weeks ago. I still struggle to bend my toes down but up is no problem.
  • Posted

best tip is to listen to and do what the Physical Therapist says.  PT will be the key to your recovery.  It takes forever and is a long process but it is the only way to get better.  Good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Lori,

I just starte with FWB this week myself and I have to say it is very nerve racking. You just have to listen to your body and take it easy. I finding that the more Im on the foot to long during the course of the day, I have repercussions and set back and much pain and swellling. So I would just say, don't try to rush and do to much and give it a rest when it needs it.  I'm also finding that I still have to ice it quite a bit yet because of much swelling. Hang in there, I'm finding that this injury is a lesson to have more patience and not to be in a hurry all the time. That's a huge thing for me to over come.  I think it's hard for most women because we are the care takers and being in this condition does not make it easy for healing.  Hopefully you  have someone to help support you during this time.

• Posted

Thanks for feedback! My family has been great. I feel bad cause it has ruined my whole summer had so much planned with my kids and couldn't do it cause of my cast. You are right as a woman it is hard cause I am so used to being "everything" to everyone.. That is my struggle

• Posted

I found using the crutches helped at this point. Before this, I was primarily using the knee scooter only, as I found crutches really hard to use. Crutches are much easier to use when you have two feet to balance with, while using them.  I went back and forth with WB between crutches and a walker during WB because both gave me different kinds of support to get the weight balanced on my feet properly. It just takes some time. Week by week you go up 25% in strength. It is such an exciting time. You will also be taught by your PT to stretch your foot right, left, up (flex) and down (pointed). They will probably give you stretch resistance bands. It does take time, so you need to be patient. I also massaged my foot a lot to get the pain to go away and rested and iced it whenever needed. The pain does go away though after a few months. I took an anti-inflammatory in the morning and evening to help with the pain (for just two months). I don't like drugs, so I was slow to decide to take them. I'm sorry I waited and had so many sleepless nights. I should have just started them sooner. I took Motrin. If you take them, take them with food. 

• Posted

I am the same, told today to start weight bearing and can start physio also which I do tomorrow.

The ortho also said to take boot off in 2 more weeks and start to walk with crutches. I really don't feel in 2 weeks I will be ready for that.

Best advice for walking in boot is you will know when your ready. I started a week ago as It just felt right to do. Slowly and steady is the best. Are you still to use crutches ? That would prob be the best to gain some confidence at first before walking unaided in boot.

Let's us know how you go, might be easier then you think.

• Posted

I went to pt after a month break and I have made at least 15% progress so the last cast was a huge help to me. We worked on some strengthening exercises and worked on breaking up some of the scar tissue. She told me to start walking boot as I am comfortable but making sure to keep boot straight when taking steps..

I am hoping I am on right path

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.