Fybo diagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi im new to this site which was recommended to my by a colleague also a sufferer of fibromyalgia.  It has recently been suggested by my GP that i may have fibromyalgia. My symptoms mofat consist of swelling in my body, particulalry on my left side. I am consantly tired however am not a good sleeper which I atribute to the menopause. I recently had a bad bout of pain which started with really sharp pain in my head, swelling of legs, ankles gums pretty much all over my body. I suffer from swelling on a daily basis along with fatigue. not good when you have to work full time. Does this sound like fibro? Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It could be FM Patricia. We can have all sorts of symptoms. Inflammation in the body can be part of it for sure. The best way to know is for your doctor to refer you to a Rheumatologist. They can correctly diagnose it. Maggie 
    • Posted

Thank you for responding magpie. I has referred to Rheumatology last year which left me even more confused as the doctor could not detect what was wrong.
  • Posted

Hi Patricia .....

I have been to a GP And then to a Rheumatologist..x2

Truth is inflammation is not associated with fibro.

In the old days they used to think that Fibromyalgia was associated with inflammation until they discovered this is not true , there is no actual swelling .

Please view the link https://www.niams.nih.gov/health_info/fibromyalgia/

I too have been diagnosed with fibro and get inflammation . So this might entail that I much like you have some form of overlap disease which means yes you can have fibro along with some other form of inflamatory disorder ...

There are so many debates about fibro ... Truth is no one really knows what causes fibro and I feel this term is just used so that doctors have a way of diagnosing overall body chonic pain....

My opinion >>> do follow up tests . RF factors . Autoimmune testing . ect.

these tests too may not be acurate . Thus the term sero- negative comes into play

meaning you may test negative on forms of athritis such as rheumatoid arthritis. But have all of the obvious symptoms.

Best wishes .

• Posted

Hi Patricia. I'm sorry that you have to go through this. I was diagnosed 11

years ago and have the same issues as you. There are many other conditions

or illnesses that seem to be diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I deal with

migraines, fatigue, IBS, arthritis, insomnia, sleep apnea, etc., etc., etc. And,

yes, swelling. You see, all of these separate issues have there own

symptoms and treatments. When I met my rheumatologist he said that

lack of deep sleep is always found in Fibromyalgia patients. They are

restless sleepers. He prescribed a muscle relaxer for me to get better

sleep. When you don't get restorative sleep your muscles cannot mend

properly which leads to more pain. There are other places to get

information about Fibromyalgia. The National Fibromyalgia Association

has a website with lots of great info. www.fmaware.org. You might need

more testing to rule out other conditions and maybe a second opinion

from a different rheumatologist. Fibro can be hard to diagnose but you have

the same symptoms as many of us. We're here if you need us. Feel better.

• Posted

I have been reading a study by Swedish Researchers who determined that inflammation is definitely linked to most Fibromyalgia patients. So there is a definite interaction with FM patients and inflammation. But it is a good idea to get other tests to determine the autoimmune connection. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.