Fybogel

Posted , 4 users are following.

Since I had my gallbladder removed 3 months ago

I'm suffering with worse IBS symptoms and it setting of the DD pain .I have seen a GP about

It and he's suggested taking 3 sachets of Fibogel a day .

With one sachets of Fibogel I'm constipated . I could never take

3 a day but can manage 2 . I'm barely eating because I can't cope

with the pain and diarrhea . Anyone know if 2 sachets a day would make the constipation worse /better . Consultant wants me on Fibogel but Lactulose makes me go a lot easier.

I would appreciate some thoughts on what to expect from the Fibogel please , does it ease cramps and stop diarrhea ?

Thanks for reading

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda

I'm confused - do you constipation or diarrhea?  Did you know that the side effects of Lactulose include diarrhea, stomach cramps, pain and nausea?  Do you think the Lactulose could be contributing to your cramps and diarrhea?

Fybogel is a stool softener and laxative.  The side effects include stomach ache, nausea, bloating. These side effect generally disappear after a few days.  However you are not the first person to say Fybogel causes constipation.

Do you think the stress you have been experiencing recently is making your IBS play up hence the mixed messages?

No answers but perhaps points to consider.

• Posted

Hi Felinia

I alternate between constipation and diarrhea and have to take lactulose

As and when I need it. For the last 2 weeks I've had a lot of cramps and diarrhea

every day so I've left the lactulose off . When I tried 1 sachet of Fybogel I was

constipated next day . Having my gallbladder removed as really upset everything. I don't think the lactulose is causing the pain and diarrhea because

I get it when I don't take it .

• Posted

Suggest you might like to read the posts from susan95516 or private message her.  She suffers from both IBS and DD and she had problems very similar to yours (alternating runs/constipation) and it might help you to learn how she managed to cope.  I know she takes Fybogel now, but if I remember correctly she too thought they gave her constipation - but I could be wrong!!  Hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

I think my problems at the minute are due to having

my gallbladder removed .

Thanks for your replies, you are very helpful .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.