Fybro and fractured bones

Posted , 5 users are following.

Four months ago I fractured my ankle and my 5th metatarsal, (ended up with a screw in the metatarsal). I've still not healed, bones have joined but there's been no bone growth in the fractures.

Anyone else had this?

Also I can't always tell if the pains and aches are from the fractures or are just normal fybro symptoms.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan, fracture healing can be a problem in healthy people too, sometime times requiring a bone graft.

• Posted

Hi Susan

Poor You, Hope you recover soon from your fracture, Unfortunately, I don't have any advice, but would like to wish you a speedy recovery. wink x

• Posted

Hi Susan;   it could ?be related to your age;  do you think it maybe a possiblity that you are not absorbing enough Calcium into your bloodstream, (as happens with Menapause)  in order for it to deposit around Fracture site???...What has the orthopaedic surgeon said in relation to this, as I assume he/she is the one who is keeping an eye on this process?  If this is the case, I don't think taking Calcium Supplements would work either, as if there is a malabsorption, it still won't absorb into your blood stream.....I don't think it would be related to your Fibro??? but perhaps decreased exercise maybe an issue, as we all know this can be Exhausting....I also can relate to your Frustration, as when I had an op on my L) shoulder in 2010, it took me over 12 months to start to make progress, and I can honestly say 2 years, before the complete healing took place...with lots of Physio, and resting the arm/shoulder....as for the pain that you are experiencing,,,it could be a bit of both....our Upset nerve pathways would be picking up increased nerve stimulus, and the ankle may now have some Arthrites in it, too ???, and may always have that pain...(my husband badly fractured his ankle in 2000....and now suffers from Arthrites in that particular ankle)....I guess it maybe a "wait and see"...but do ask for any advice from your dr who put the pins into your toe/did the surgery....if he is upto date with his knowledge, he is the one to ask....and of course, always do some research yourself on the net, for advice (I am amazed how much I learn from the net....just wish we had it when were kids for our assignments, instead of having to Pour over endless library books....wink).....Bron
    • Posted

Hi Bronwyn,

When I went to A&E, with a moaning husband four hour wait for just a sprain, they only x-rayed the ankle said I had a nice clean fracture put it in a temp cast, go to fracture clinic next day and they'd put it in a full cast. Well the consultant took one look and sent me for more x-rays of my foot, sure enough that was fractured too, he told me then that it was in a place notorious for not healing. A week later, new x-ray, same consultant, said the fracture had moved and he wanted me to see a surgeon, so a few days later met the surgeon, after shaking my hand his first words were you've done a right one on yourself, he then told me I would get arthritis in both fracture sites as both went through the joints and that he needed to put a screw in the metatarsal as the gap was far too large to ever heal, oh and that later the screw would have to come out. So I knew it could be a long process, most of the trouble I have is trying to work out if the aches and pain are the result of the fractures or just normal fybro. Thankfully had a chat with the physio, who says she hears this a lot, and that she thought fybro sufferers who have fractures suffered far more pain. Trouble with doing the physio exercises is they tell you pain is your body telling you you've done enough, but I'm having trouble telling what pain I've got. If you get my meaning.

• Posted

Yes I do, and I think I'd take the Physio's advice (whether  your not sure if it's fibro or the fracture) and stop the exercises when your body tells you, you have done enough....either way your body (more so the Fibro side of it) will let you know .....if the surgeon said you had done a really good job of fracturing your ankle etc, then be prepared for a Long Rehab.....it took my husband 18  months off any weight bearing with his ankle, and he didn't/doesn't have Fibro.....his surgeon INSISTED that he use crutchers for that time, as if he was to weight bear, the healing wouldn't take place.....another case of patience and pacing????    Bron
    • Posted

Hi Susan

I had an accident back in 2008 and managed to fracture several major bones, tibia was completely severed and ground to pulp in one place.  I had various bolts, plates, etc etc.  It took a couple of years before they would remove any.  They took about a dozen bolts out and one of the plates and the ankle joint was a lot more flexible and a lot less painful.  Couple of christmases ago I fell and broke my metatarsal.  This time round just a cast no scews etc., but I did get told it would be at least a year before it had grown back at all, due to my age and being post menopausal female, our bone density can be very poor and new growth is very slow.  Added to all this, I paid out several thousand pounds for extensive dental work including an implant. I had BIOS material implanted to try to grow new bone then the implant, which never did take.  Unfortunately I'm one of those people who just doesn't heal well and new bone growth is almost non existent.  On the subject of differentiating the pain - I now have severe OA in that ankle plus OA in both thumbs and most of the time that pain is quite different to the muscle pain of fibro, although there are days when it's all flaring up and it sort of all melds into one whole body 'hurt'.  One thing i can say is that exercise, even very gentle movement is ESSENTIAL to help the healing process for broken bones, otherwise they seize up completely and its far worse.

• Posted

i had heel fracture from six months ago, it has never healed . I'm back wearing the cast boot and I'm trying to get a bone stimulator to help the healing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.