FYI: Energy Warm Home Discount TIp

Posted , 7 users are following.

Warm Home Discount Tips

Families that are entitled to the Governments Warm Home Discount Scheme will know that their £140 will be added to their key meters between December and March, but there ways of prioritizing your entitlement so you get it within days rather than weeks or months.

If you are entitled you maybe struggling around Christmas time, with paying for electric to keep you warm on these cold days and would rather get it in December rather than in the first 3 months of 2016.

So, here is a tip that you probably do not know.

1. 2,000 Warm Home Discounts are processed per day.

2. Your Energy provider sends out all key operated discounts in one bulk, not several that some people think.

3. If you would like your Warm Home Discount faster then follow these tasks.

4. Do not top your key meter up just once a week or use different outlets, this will postpone the Discount reaching your key.

5. If you would like your Discount in roughly 3-5 days, sometimes longer depending on the supplier sending out the bulk signal to outlets.

6. Do not add large amounts to your key, e.g. £15, £20, £25 or more in one week, this will prolong your discount being added.

7. Instead add just £5 a day, for about 5 days at the same outlet each time, this will process your discount in front of other people. It should be added within 3-5 of you paying small amounts.

If you decide the above is not really for you, then you can expect your Warm Home Discount (if this is a rolling application from last year!) within roughly 5-6 weeks. New claims made in 2015, vary from November to March, this depends on your Electric company.

Regards,

Les.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Thanks Les, last year all we got was £20.00 instead of the usual £140, have applied on line to British gas about five weeks ago but got no reply and heard nothing. We are with British gas for our electric and EDF for our gas, stupid i know!  who gives out the cold weather payment?
    • Posted

Hi Susan,

The Warm Home Discount is paid to you via your energy supplier, and should be £140 for the year, unless your application was not made by the due date which around September, I think - I always phone in June time, so theres plenty of time. It is a Government funded, but put on your meter by your supplier.

The Cold Weather Payment is paid directly from the government, not your supplier. Under the following government conditions.

{Start quote from Government website}

Overview

You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits.

You’ll get a payment if the temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below for 7 consecutive days.

The Cold Weather Payment scheme runs from 1 November 2015 to 31 March 2016. Check if you can get a payment in your area.

You’ll get a payment of £25 for each 7 day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.

{end quote}

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thanks Les for that good info.

I'm with Scottish Power and to say the least I am totally p********d o** with them

They upped my DD from £104 a month to £128 a month in October again because they say that I was heading for a shortfall. What they can never get into their heads is that the £140 every year makes my dual fuel account balance out. So come every March I always end up being at least £140 in credit + any overpayment due to the over stated and estimated DD payments. This credit then is carried into the new year and they adjust the DD down. But then come next October the whole sorry saga starts all over again. I have given up with them. They never reply or answer the telephone.  

• Posted

Hi Les,

I tried Scottish Power quite a few years ago now, they gave me all the details on tarriffs and what would best suit us. After, seeing the difference between them and my old supplier after only just 3 months I changed back, I did not notify them and stopped the DD. Once it had changed back to Southern Electric - I got loads of phone calls from them saying I was on the wrong tarriff with them, well needless to say unless they could in practice bring down their tarriffs there is no way I would go with them. Both Gas and Electric was higher with Scottish Power.

In the end I blocked their number!

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thanks Les it is through you that I applied and desperately need financial help right now so I will consider this advice
    • Posted

Hiya,

I think I remember you saying you qualified awhile ago when I mentioned it. The trouble is people do not get informed of these payments, and this one you have to apply directly to your every year. If you have not heard anything from your supplier recently, give them a quick call and enquire about the payment. They will probably say its been processed and should be available soon.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Actually, I just read what I put in the first post... I wish they had an Edit button on these forums! lol  You can get it in 3 - 5 days by following my instructions.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

hi les,what power companys does it work with 
    • Posted

It should be with all suppliers because they reclaim it back from the Government.

Go to Google and type in following keywords, or copy and paste the whole line:

the warm home discount scheme what youll get

It will list all the suppliers and give you the Government payment pages at the top of the page on the search.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

If you look up the Warm Home Scheme the suppliers come up in a list I am with Brish Gas and qualify. Good luck
    • Posted

i am with scottish power,and i qualify,but was wonderinh how to get early 
  • Posted

Does this apply to electricity only
    • Posted

Hi Darkchild,

Sorry, I missed this little post.

Yes, you are correct it is for Electric only, as far as I am aware. It has never been added to my Gas meter only Electric.

I usually phone the company up which with me is SSE, I make the call around May/June time, because sometimes they run checks they can access certain benefits anyway, so they know if you are entitled or not.

I have never supplied paperwork since my first claim. Now, its nearly automatic apart from the phone calll in May/June time.

All the best,

Regards,

Les.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.