G.E.R.D??

Posted , 4 users are following.

so last night i woke up at around 1:30am with a horrendous burning sensation in my throat and struggled to breath for a few seconds, all day today ive had a awful sore throat.i took some omeprazole before bed as had a pretty heavy and fatty meal with diet fizzy drinks. which are known triggers for my acid reflux. it is usually well managed with a healthy diet/ minimal fizzy drinks. and i rarely have major issues.my question is. does this sound like G.E.R.D? any suggestions for management?

i did google earlier and one site suggested raising the head of my mattress so i sleep more upright. has anyone found this helpful?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

yes, sleeping with your upper body up higher helps. I sleep in a recliner now.

• Posted

Hi. Yes, sleeping with your upper body raised does ease gerd symptoms. I used pillows then bought an adjustable bed.

• Posted

Hi b30929

Raising the bed is helpful but be sure to raise it from the base so that you effectively lie on a normal surface but at an angle rather than just having cushions under your top half. Also sounds as though you need to stop the trigger foods/drinks as you seem to know what makes you feel bad.

Robin

• Posted

thanks for the comment. i put pillows under the mattress to see if that helps. yeah im aware of some triggers and keep these to the bare minimum. but will occasionally have a treat if there is a family event going on

• Posted

I can't understand why you still eat fatty meals and fizzy drinks. They make you overweight and give you terrible refluxes. Yes it is GERD that you just described and keeping off the triggers is the beginning of wisdom. The terrible pain, nausea and other symptoms reduce the quality of life and could give you cancer in the esophagus or stomach.

Drink non citrus fruit juices and keep off fatty meals. Eat mild foods that are neither jot not cold in small measures and possibly more frequently. There are good foods and mild drinks all over that won't give you episodes.. Get used to them please.

• Posted

there is no need to be judgemental. like i said above i usually have a healthy diet. but very occasionally some like to indulge and have a treat. life just with salad is boring.

as a rule i eat mostly low fat proteins. plenty of veg and fruit. and tend to drink only sugar free cordial / water or decaf coffee.

• Posted

We can all fall from grace a bit. I'm not supposed to drink any alcohol because of a range of meds and conditions but once in a while I allow a little treat. Life can be a bit sad without some treats. You were just being upfront about the triggers, you shouldn't be judged.

• Posted

i agree. and i rarely have treats. i merely made this post, to see if my acid reflux issues were likely to be gerd. as like i said i manage it well usually and rarely need to take any medication or antacids. i can even get acid reflux if i wait too long to eat etc. i was just curious seeing that this was a bad flare up, so to speak, whether it was more than basic reflux.

• Posted

As a sufferer myself, I know how painful things can get and I try to avoid temptations. I have gotten used to avoiding treats and i never drink anything beyond water and juiced watermelon. I sounded rather judgemental but it was a mere expression of my surprise that anybody who feels such pains would dare such things . I thrash about on the doctors table while my staff and family watch in utter confusion. The pain is top grade.

In my contribution, I was neither abusive nor rude. Michele took things to head and started using gutter language. I wonder where she comes from.

• Posted

I can't understand why you still eat fatty meals and fizzy drinks. They make you overweight and give you terrible refluxes. Yes it is GERD that you just described and keeping off the triggers is the beginning of wisdom. The terrible pain, nausea and other symptoms reduce the quality of life and could give you cancer in the esophagus or stomach.

Drink non citrus fruit juices and keep off fatty meals. Eat mild foods that are neither jot not cold in small measures and possibly more frequently. There are good foods and mild drinks all over that won't give you episodes.. Get used to them please.

• Posted

Really? You can't understand it? You don't know much about people then. Please read up a bit on human nature. It might make you a nicer person.

• Posted

Seriously? So much abuse over a harmless comment.

If he suffers so intensely from GERD would you recommend fatty meals and fizzy drinks?

Waow.

I don't want to be your own type of a person for sure. Better persons certainly don't do such insubordination over issues that don't concern them. You have railed on yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.