GA Advice needed

Posted , 2 users are following.

I understand from The Royal College of Anaestetists web site that this will be started off by a cannula, a needle in a vein, I am terrified of them and they make me hysterical, they affect me so badly physically that I usually pass out and have a fit as I am epileptic, hence my reaction to them.

Is there anyway round this?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tazchurch, you probably need to talk to your Consultant and ask to speak to the Anaesthetist.  They are used to patients like you.

Tell them how you feel.  The Anaesthetist is obviously the person you need to speak to but in order to get to him, you might have to go through the Surgeon who has arranged your op.

It is easy for me to tell you not to worry.  I have heard of people trying hypnosis but I don't know anything about it.

• Posted

Sadly no one is talking to me so all I can do is panic. I have asked twice to speak to the anaethetist and been ignored.
    • Posted

Oh dear.  What about your GP

What op are you having?

• Posted

Removal of ovaries and fallopian tubes.

She is young and useless, her only reply is speak to the anaethetist, when I say not been able to she just shrugs. As soon as I can I am changing.

• Posted

I am assuming you know the name of your Consultant and the hospital where you are due to have the op, so, what I would do, is telephone the Consultant's secretary, they are usually very approachable and helpful.  I would explain you have been referred and that you are terrified of the anaesthetic and wondered whether it would be possible to speak to an anaesthetist.
    • Posted

Will try her again as one of the "ignores" was after spoke to her so hope better luck this time. Thanks
    • Posted

I wish I could come and hold your hand for you.  Do you have a friend who could go with you?

Have you ever had an anaesthetic?

• Posted

No one is free to be with me.

Yes it was as bad as I thought, the cannula insertion was awful and when I became hysterical I was told not to be such a baby.

• Posted

No other option was suitable so I just had to get hysterical and hate it. Did GA ASAP after insertion so could do before fitted.
    • Posted

I hope the op went well [after the canula bit]  and you are recovering now
    • Posted

The surgeon said so, but hospital care was appalling, should have been in for one night but in for a week as severe pain could not control then thought may have DVT. Discharged with pain still severe and uncontrolled  as wanted bed. GP sorted it immediatly, seems not tried but only gone to strongest pain killer most need which is co-codamol, I needed morphine which, incase needed Drs had prescribed but nurses decided not need so not given. Suspect because admin of morphine takes two nurses as has to be double checked, co-codamol only takes one. Means recovery slower than should be but with help of GP is going fairly well
    • Posted

I'm glad that things are going reasonably well with your GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.