GA triggered by high Vitamin D supplements + sunshine?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm so glad I found this site! I'm a 55 year old, fit and trim, generally healthy woman who has controlled my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and gotten rid of my psoriasis (!) by eliminating gluten, dairy and sugar from my diet the past 16 months. Just as the psoriasis was miraculously disappearing five months later (it was the dairy!) I developed GA after spending a lot of time in the Florida summer sun and also increasing my oral Vitamin D intake to fortify my immune system against Covid. I've been taking 5000 IU of Vitamin D daily and upped it to 10000 IU every other day based on what I read on GrassrootsHealth.org -- a non-profit dedicated to increasing awareness about Vitamin D.

I blithely ignored the GA rash for many months and finally went to a dermatologist for a biopsy. Once diagnosed, I chose not to suppress the symptoms with steroid creams because I wanted to heal the CAUSE of it. I thought maybe it was all the almond butter and nuts I was eating every day, so I gave those up several months ago (and unexpectedly lost a few extra pounds when I'd already lost weight by giving up the gluten, dairy and sugar). Long story short, after strong sun exposure the other day, I developed new bumps on the exposed part of the skin and discovered I could be having a reaction to too much sunshine AND/OR too much oral Vitamin D! I am now wearing UPF clothing to block the sun from my skin and am stopping my daily Vitamin D intake.

Does anyone else have this same issue? I know the sun can trigger it, (and now I'm convinced it does!) but I didn't know about the possible oral Vitamin D connection until today.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hello,

I'm 58 very active , Trim and healthy . I've had GA for 9 years it started when I had my first hip replacement . I've been taking vitamin D supplements for 4 years after menopause started. My primary suggested that I start the supplements due to my levels were extremely low . I live in Southern California and I try to stay out of the sun . I wear a high level of sunscreen to protect my skin when I drive . I have tried every treatment available and have had zero improvement.

When I was in my 40's , I spent a lot of time in the sun . The only issue I had is sun damage . I was told that UV rays will improve GA . If your GA is cause by sun exposure then maybe , GA is triggers are a case by case or underlying issues.

Please keep us informed if staying out of the sun and wearing protectiveclothing helps.

• Edited

Hi MadameRuby

I am similar to you, I have Hypothyroidism not Hashimoto, I am active, I have a great career-when I am recognized for it.

my ga developed in the autumn. i thought it was ringworm-so did my doctor. sun has proven to bring on the ga. i dont tan and i live in a not so sunny county. went to a sunny place, and broke out. but that sunny place-stressed lived there.

My diet is similar to yours. I do drink, wine.

I take an oral vitamine D spray. every morning with my thyroid medication. one day i took the spray and sprayed my GA. the spots, welts, sores went away. too expensive for me to continue doing this, just every now and then, when one really itches.

I believe GA to be emotionally motivated. stress, anxiety, depression, nerves etc. I have had loss over the past 2.5 years. family and friends, pets, privacy, friendship, happiness coming to the end of menopause. covid doesnt help. the world is not in a good place. whether we recognize this or not. it is like white noise.

I had great results with my herbalist. teas and ointments.

I have a post on here if you wish to read it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.