Gab and dental work?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm still on 2,000 mg of Gab and 4% Lidocaine pain cream and am in my 6th month of shingles/PHN and needed a crown yesterday. (The tooth kind, not because I'm royalty!) I was very apprehensive as I've had some apalling dentists in my youth and problems getting numb. My dentist used Lidocaine as the local, along with a topical. As they do the crown while you wait (I love the new technology), I was in and out of the chair waiting for the next step. 45 minutes into the procedure, I DEFINITELY felt like I did on a higher dose of Gab. I remember those bad old days. I was light-headed, had blurred vision and basically felt lousy and shaky.

The dentist looked it up and didn't feel that the injection would cause that, but as it wore off the next few hours I felt much better.  Anyone else have this happen?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Babs,

As a former ICU RN, I can tell that you were indeed having side effects from the Lidocaine. Those are the exact reactions some patients who would have IV Lidocaine for cardiac arrhythmias. It is important to know that Lidocaine can precipitate seizures in a few patients. I would discuss the reaction with your internist. I personally would refrain from having Lidocaine or other medications in its class until I discuss this with an excellent internist. Does your dentist have resuscitation equipment in his office? Is he and his staff ACLS certified?

As you had a tiny dose compared to what patients with cardiac arrhythmias would have, I would be leary of having any Lidocaine type medications.

Fondly,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I was aware that the "caines" (lidocaine, novacaine etc.) are vaso-dilators and can lower BP, but I wasn't aware of it's other uses. I've had novacaine (I thought!) previously and had brief symptoms like that. Same thing when they numb your eyes for some eye exams so I was used to that. This was different. Hmmm. Thanks for the info, I'd better look into this. And no, I never thought to inquire about those other things you mention.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.