Gab and PHN (or shingles)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Over 3 years ago I developed shingles. As I had no rash and the symptoms were atypical, we didn't realize what was going on (even told I did NOT have shingles when I went to walk-in) so I didn't get antivirals. Long story short, after 3 years of the hell of pain from PHN (post shingles pain) and gabapentin, I am off gab.

I very slowly tapered but noticed as my gab usage declined, my pain declined also. Hmmm, I thought that the pain would get WORSE? Actually it did, but that was only during the withdrawal portions. When the WD was done, my pain was less than when the taper started. After a year, I realized this wasn't a co-incidence and hypothesized that the gab's effect on my brain and CNS was creating the pain. Yes, it was real pain, but no, it wasn't from the PHN. I wasn't sure if this was accurate until a few weeks ago. I was down to only 300 mg (100 3X a day) and I realized my pain was gone. Yes, my pain was GONE! That lasted several days, then I'd have VERY mild discomfort and then pain-free again. My theory was correct. The pain was drug induced. I realized that there may be times I'll feel twinges, but more likely, I'll be done with PHN.

I've been off gab almost two weeks now, so I'm going through my typical WD--fatigue, depression, confusion, insomnia and increasing discomfort. In a few weeks I expect the discomfort to escalate to sporadic pain, as that's the pattern I've seen for 3 years. But this pain WILL go away, and I WILL NEVER TAKE THIS DRUG AGAIN.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Brilliant news. i'm off this disgusting addictive drug too, and will NEVER be made to take it again.

Like others will be, Proud of you

• Posted

I thought that there was no way the drug could actually be worsening my pain, a doctor would warn me of that, right? Of COURSE they wouldn't because they don't know anything about it.

• Posted

Please be very careful .I did a very simular thing to what you have done and ended up having a seizure. This happened about 3 years ago.

My Doctor said i had come off the gabs to quickley , so please be careful .

• Posted

Thanks for your concern John, but I took 3 years to drop, usually taking 8-20 weeks between tapers. It was only the first few I did in 2 or 4 weeks (before I knew anything about this drug.) I needed at least 8 weeks between drops to avoid the worst side effects, and normally took 9 or more. Before I stopped gab in December, I had last dropped from 400 to 300 back in last July. That gave me 5 months of healing time.

Rather than going thru hell at 200 and 100 mg drops and drawing this out another 7-12 months, I stopped. As I was seeing such improvement in the severity of my tapers this past 18 months the hope was that enough healing and recover in my brain/CNS/neurons had occurred that I'd weather this the same as the last two years worth of tapers. Of course, I didn't know that until I actually did it, so I was still scared. I've read enough horror stories about the drug that I knew the serious side effects which could occur. But I time my tapers around less stressful times also, which helps. A number of people who tapered to 200 and 100 per day wrote that they wished they had stopped at 300, rather than have two more tapers.

The first 48 hours, there was no WD at all. It wasn't until 7-10 days later that I started to have more pain, fatigue, trouble sleeping, along with low mood (I won't use the D word as the bots don't like it). Now it's two weeks and I'm having more bouts of fatigue, pain and emotionalism i.e. wanting to either cry or just sit. So I'm being kind and gentle to myself. I know this may continue for many months, but I'll have more good days than bad. Usually my worst stretch is 4-7 weeks after my drop. But knowing that this drug is out of my body is a big relief. I've had some real hell emotionally and physically from WD so I figure if I got thru it then, I can do it again.

• Posted

Hi Babs.....very interesting story,i hope you continue to get better.I am afraid i could not go through it all again i would rather stay on the gabapentin as i feel i can cope with them, yes they do have their side effects but i have learned to cope with them . Good luck God Bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.