GABA PENTIN for arthritis with Ulcerative Colitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have Ulcerative Colitis and the arthritis/joint pain that goes with it.  I am not supposed to take and NSAIDS at all. My gastro said tylenol was fine but anyone who has arthritis knows tylenol does nothing for joint pain. My dr. first prescdribed me on Cymbalta and it was amazing for pain, however  I started to get very depressed on it and was worried about how hard it was to come off.  She has now started me on 25mg twice daily.  It is helping a little not too much as the dose is so low. My question is I just looked up and read that it can make your stomach bleed and actually cause  colitis.  Anyone out there with Crohns or colitis taking  Gaba?  Also do you gain as much weight as they say?

Thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you're having a tough time.  I hadn't heard to gab and abdominal issues. I'm not a doctor but am in a couple of groups regarding gab and have been on it for 19 months. In the info I found, it said "incidence not known" meaning it may occur, but we have no idea how often. I'd not consider it a side effect. However the ones they list as less common (depression, emotional issues, confusion) are quite common in the posts I read. I've had about 15-25 of them. Both Cymbalta and gab can cause some real misery when you want to get off of the drug. For many of us, the side effects become to miserable and it turns out it doesn't really help the pain.

Please know, this drug was approved by the FDA for only two things: epilepsy and the pain from shingles and/or PHN, Post Herpetic Pain, which is nerve pain and damage from shingles. They've also approved it for specific types of diabetic neuropathy. Being approved, just means it helps in at least 40% of the cases, but in reality, may help quite a bit fewer people. However, doctors give it off-label for NUMEROUS things, thinking that it will help. It seldom does. Sadly they are unaware of how the drugs works, how well it works, what it's supposed to treat and the miserable side effects and problems of withdrawal.

If you developed depression on Cymbalta, I'd really hesitate taking gab, depression and suicidal thoughts are common. Also, you say you started on 25 mg of gabapentin. It's usually given in 100 or 300 mg doses, is this actually gabapentin or a similar drug?

• Posted

Thanks Babs, yes it is Gaba and my dr. put me on the that low of a dose just to see how I tolerate it.  I quite the cymbalta 3 weeks in because I was terrified after reading how hard it is to get off of and how hard it is on your liver. Plus I was getting depressed on it after the 3 weeks. But it did help with the arthritis.  If I can't take NSAIDS which do work, I don't know what to take for the arthritis.  I know arthritis is common with Crohns and Colitis. Was wondering what other people take.  Today I just ended up taking an aleve even though I am not supposed to.

• Posted

Is the dose correct? 25 mg? Are you somewhere other than the US? Here it's only available in 100 and 300 mg doses.  So if you can't take NSAIDs is it because of the increased risk of bleeding? What about Celebrex? Technically it's a type of NSAID, but my daughter has a bleeding disorder (think hemophilia, but different) and can take it as it works differently on the platelets. But maybe it still increases problems with the abdomen, I'm not sure. My sister takes a type of special aspirin product as she can't handle a lot of NSAID's either, but if it's the bleeding issue, it's probably still an issue. I'm sorry.

• Posted

Babs I owe you an apology. My Dr. Had given me lyrics @ 25mg   Now she has prescribed 300mg gaba twice daily. Is that a lot?  I am just on my second dose and so far my stomach feels calmer. Celebrex is still an NSAID and will,cause more ulcers in my lining. So hopefully this works.  Thanks
  • Posted

Hi Babs, yes I am in Canada.  I cannot take Celebrex or Arthotec especially.  No NSAIDS if at all possible. Rules out a lot of Arthritis medication. :-(

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.