Gabapentin 100mgs

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor just put me on this today, to help me sleep...I haven't taken it yet, as I get scared with taking new meds. Should I take this medicine? Is there major withdrawals, if I forget? And does it actually work? What symptoms r most common? Sorry for so many questions...I'm just a worry wart. I already went through withdrawal symptoms a few months back, b/c I quit Effexor slowly, and switch chef over to Wellbutrin. I had shocks, shakiness, panic, etc...it was scary...an I don't want to start a new med that's going to do the same thing...so can someone please help me? Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Dr put you on for sleep problems???  Yes, major withdrawal symptoms and side effects when on Gabapentin. Please find another method to help with sleep.
  • Posted

I started this med and on day one I couldn't sleep felt like someone was sitting on my chest couldn't breath had horrible tremors restless bad headache and numbness and tingling and I felt all that from 1 dose shortly after of 100mg however everyone is different I stopped after 3 days of meds because you can't stop cold turkey from what I read and you do go through withdrawals I'm off meds for 3 days now and still waiting for my doctor to get back to me about possibly changing the medication I wish you all the best and hope you find releif
  • Posted

Have you tried melatonin its sold at walmart it was prescribe to me once all natural but I cant dedicate 8 hours of sleep so stopped taking it but it does help and I didnt feel jittery in the morning
  • Posted

Art, I think it did help me. I was taking 1 pill at night and still couldn't sleep.  When I told my doctor she said, take 2...you can take up to 5 she said.  I took 2, no sleep....then 2 at night, 1 mid day.  I had moments of being in a place and drawing a total blank.  I walked in a convenience store and walked out not knowing which car was mine or where I was or what I was doing.  Although this lasted about 15 seconds, it was scary.  I quit taking it.  Completely.  Bad stomach ache and severe headache about 4 days...but done.  I read that it's out of your system completely in 48 hours...not sure.  articles I read (hindsight) said to ween yourself off over weeks or a month.  I'd only been taking it about 3 weeks...my doctor has now given me lunesta. Hope this was helpful, everyone will have a different answer cause it affects everyone differently.  Good luck!
  • Posted

This medication has caused numerous scary side effects. I was only on. 100 mg for 6 months. I had headaches, shakiness, fatigue, muscle twitches, constant severe pressure in my head, hair loss, pin pricking pain, insomnia, severe changes in eye sight, eye pressure, ear pressure, anxiety, stuttering, confusion, numbness, difficulty breathing, and more. It took me six months to wean off it because of severe side effects coming off. I had to taper down by 10 mg every three weeks and still had bad side effects. I have been off it for six weeks. I'm still experiencing eye problems, fatigue, insomnia, headaches and feeling drunk off and on for hours at a time even though I'm no longer taking it. Everyone is different, but I have seen a lot of side effects for a lot of people. I would never recommend this medication to anyone. It's been a nightmare for me. Find something else that is safer. Research what the doctors offer you or ask a naturalpathic doctor for a more natural alternative to help you sleep.
    • Posted

Wow! That's terrible! So sorry you had to deal with that! Like you said, everyone is different, looks like the doctors would know these things! Smh. Good luck to you!
    • Posted

Thank you Pesh! It's been really difficult for me. I appreciate your concern. The doctors need to learn more about what they are prescribing, you are correct.
  • Posted

Hi Art, personally I've never heard of anyone being given it for sleep aid. It's usually given for epilepsy and/or nerve pain. 100mg is a relatively small dose and everyone responds differently to medication but I don't like the stuff and I'm slowing coming off my 600mg per day dose. Any medication that gives you chest pain, hallucinations, memory loss and much more, is not something that should only be taken if absolutely necessary. Insomnia is vile and debilitating and it's not good when you have to get up in the morning and go to work when you've had very little sleep, but I would certainly look into some other approach to help with this. Some times just thinking about something utterly bland while you're lying there (like peeling veg) will do the trick. It does for me. And if i'm really tossing and turning then I get up; no point fighting it, it only makes it worse. Good luck.
  • Posted

You have answered a question for me - I am slowly coming off it and down to 50mg a day - I only took it for 3 weeks and only a week at 300mg. I had alot of chest pain , could not work out if it was indigestion type or coming from my back as I can get this occasionally but just realised that once i was back down to 100mg the chest pain went away as did blurred vision.  thanks for mentioning the chest pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.